1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 Year 'no TV licence' anniversary - baking a cake and buying new telly for the bedroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by adultsocialcare, May 30, 2020.

1. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Today, I realised that it has been just over 10 years since I bought a TV licence, saving around £1400.

In that time, I've had only two visits. Once I was out and once I just said 'Don't need one' (which is true, I don't) and closed the door. I've also had exactly 87 letters, comprising 11 different varieties, (I keep them all for fun), all telling me that an investigation has been started :) :) :)

Very pleased with myself. The biased BBC and the overpaid millionaire public servants like Gary Lineker have not had a penny out of me in 10 years, and neither will they in the future so to celebrate, I've just ordered a new small TV for the bedroom and a wall bracket with the money I've saved.

Well chuffed.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What was your address again ?

theworm123 and needabreak like this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Quite a few people took advantage of Capita (BBC's fee collecting agents) admitting they would not be visiting anyone during lockdown due to social distancing.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/550-people-day-cancel-tv-18230306

It could be of course these people have subscribed to Netflix and thought it is enough. Some may play the game and renew when they know Capita are out and about.

However, anyone who has done this or anyone without a licence had best be prepared for some serious hounding when lockdown is lifted as the BBC will want some cash.

4. adultsocialcare

"What was your address again ?"

What does it matter? I don't need one.

"However, anyone who has done this or anyone without a licence had best be prepared for some serious hounding when lockdown is lifted as the BBC will want some cash."

You are under no obligation to respond to letters. Neither are you required to speak to anyone who comes knocking. You do not have to let them into your home, either. They have no magical powers, no legal powers similar to the Police, no right to interrogate you, no more than say the milkman. If you don't need a licence, then ignore any attempt by them to engage. If you don't need a licence but do register this, talk to them, invite them into your home etc, then that is when the trouble can start - their "investigators" are commission-based so they have an incentive to "catch" you, even when there is nothing to catch. No contact is the best way!

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I've said this before, that my favourite fun fact about the TV license is that it is an offence to not have one if you are supposed to, and that is enforceable by law to the point that if you resist applicable fines, you could actually go to prison for not buying one one.
    Where you can watch TV all day without buying a TV license.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I pay my TV license every year and will happily do so.

Partly because I'm a law abiding citizen

Partly because it's value for money

Partly because (despite it's faults) the BBC produces some great stuff.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What are you going to watch on the nice new TV you've just bought yourself? Presumably not live TV.

needabreak likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:D:D:D

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

People say the same about taxes, I don't use the services. Its all done wrong, I will pay as lite as I can get away with... Hmmm...

11. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We got rid of our TV license before Christmas. We got a refund from the BBC too. We haven't watched live TV for years, we mainly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Kandahar and dumpty like this.
  12. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Is on Netflix.;)

There are several vids on YouTube about this. I love the one where the investigator asks the person to turn on the TV and tune it into BBC1 to "show you what I mean".

Kandahar and agathamorse like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People can be law-abiding citizens and not pay the TV licence.

The list gets shorter every year.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You do not need to pay for a television licence these days and it cannot be a surprise or wrong that more and more choose not to - and they are not breaking any laws when they make that choice (so long as they meet the exceptions allowed now of course)

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

We didn't have a TV licence until they started requiring one for iplayer. We got hassled a lot at the start, but when we complained, they put a note on our record not to contact us for five years. They also gave us an SAE to let them know if we moved - we did, and they actually didn't check on us again for a good few years more.

We could live without iplayer (especially as Bake Off moved fairly soon after the rule change), but inertia probably means we'll stick with coughing up, and we do use it a bit more now. As a Radio 4 fan, I had exceedingly good value for money before we got a TV licence!

16. adultsocialcare

"I pay my TV license every year and will happily do so partly because I'm a law abiding citizen"

I'm a law abiding citizen, too, who does not need a TV licence. Some people also don't buy a fishing licence, a hunting licence, a licence to operate a car boot sale or a licence to run a sex shop. Why? Because they don't go fishing, shoot deer, organise car boot sales or run a sex shop. It would be a very strange person indeed who buys a licence for something they don't ever do!

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm not really sure why you started this thread. I thought you were bragging that you watch the telly without buying a licence, but now I think you were telling us that you don't need one because you don't watch anything requiring a licence. I can't see why anyone else would be interested. Lots of people don't watch the telly. Shall I start a thread listing all the newspapers that I don't read? Would that be interesting?

18. Rott Weiler

Yes, please do! I'll contribute as soon as you start it. ;) Maybe include magazines we don't read as well or it could get repetitive...

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

20. Rott Weiler

Yes, and OP has saved £1,400 by not buying a TV licence and so not being able to watch BBC or live TV.

What a lack of ambition! I've saved nearly £250,000 this year alone by not buying a Rolls Royce and so not being able to drive one around town.

bonxie, Symingtons, knitone and 5 others like this.