1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 worst places in the UK in which to live.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Oct 23, 2015.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Four are; North of Northern Ireland, South of Northern Ireland, East of Northern Ireland, West of Northern Ireland and if you look at a map you will see why the Centre of Northern Ireland isn't a fifth place.
    Average disposable (?) income for UK households is £192 but in Northern Ireland it is £97.
    Almost half of the terrorist attacks in the EU in the last year(?) originated in Northern Ireland.

2. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Sorry to hear Northern Ireland is so bad, didnt they have war there once? Haringey is the best place to live in Britain, the locals are delightful and the houses are sooooo cheap. My friends Hugo and Jemima bought a lovely 2 bed upstairs flat off a Turkish Cypriot pensioner for just 750,000...a proper bargain.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

1.Your place
    2. His place
    3. That other place...you know the one
    4. Where THEY live
    5. Where we used to live
    6. Where we'll live when we're old
    7. The place that used to be nice but isn't anymore
    8. The new place they just built
    9. That place they're moving to
    10. That place they moved out of

guinnesspuss and kibosh like this.
  4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

10 places I would not like to live:- (in the UK)

1. London. (Sorry Londoners, London is great culturally but too frenetic/overheated housing market/unfriendly!)

2. Scunthorpe.

3. Kingston Upon Hull

4. Grimsby

5. Holyhead

6. Rhyl

7. Corby

8. Middlesbrough

9. Carlisle

10. That deprived place on the coast in Essex.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Runcorn

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Nobody wants to live amongst poor people, do they.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I used to work one day a week in Hull. It has its drawbacks but it does have positive features.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Hmmmm. My friend lives in North Ferriby. She will do supply anywhere except Hull.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There was a fantastic sandwich shop opposite where I worked. I miss their malteser cheesecake.

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh ! Kibosh....... to be fair when I lived close to Runcorn I hated the place with its discarded shopping trolleys dumped by the folk transported there from Merseyland....... Too often they would come through our village to the Red Lion pub (now long gone after a very convenient fire destroyed it and its preservation ordered coach house outbuildings!) and on one occasion they broke every fence post on our land which had nearly killed me to help post hammer into rock hard ground! I now live closer and I have to say for one of the most deprived boroughs in the land the local council work hard to keep the surroundings tidy. Yes.... I do stop my car to thank the litter pickers who keep the landscaped road verges clear.....and apart from the odd spate of McCrapold sh*te chucked out of cars as they pass....(I would so love to get my hands on the folk who toss their litter out of car windows) this borough is really quite clean.
    We have the lowest figure for car ownership in the land I think...... so we have bus lanes which quite a few folk don't seem to understand are for buses only. I work fir the Local Authority and I have to say that it does try...... in the face of punitive **** from this government.
    I also felt the judgement on Holyhead was a lil cruel too as in a couple of minutes you can be driving up South Stack for wonderful views and.... puffins !! There are also wonderful beaches and countryside around too. I love Anglesey!
    The others Scienceteacher..... I might have to agree with.

11. scienceteachasghost

Once you get even a MILE out of Holyhead Anglesey is indeed beautiful, but Holyhead is a typical rough port town with lorries thundering through it 24 hours per day.

12. scienceteachasghost

Xena Warriror - Look at #1. Kinda blows the 'poor people' theory out of the water?

13. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

The sh1thole triangle; Dewsbury, Batley and Heckmondwike, all aspiring to become the new Bradford.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

15. 576

576 Established commenter

They decided to make Corby into a commuter town for London.
    It's not the town it was 10 years ago.
    Now has a train station (again), cinema, Next, The Body Shop.
    And where else can you have the full Scottish experience in the midlands?

sandgirl33 likes this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oops, messed up the quote.
    @HelenREMfan I only visited once. Middle of the night, wet, windy . . .this was almost 30years ago, mind you, so perhaps a lot has changed . . . but the housing appeared to be made of tin, warren-like, linked by covered metal walkways and concrete paths . . . . coming from a rural area I had no experience of a town like this and didn't know such architectural ugliness could be designed and planned for. I thought it was monstrous. But now, having seen a few more sh!tholes I'm sure I could make a more realistic comparison.

18. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Not a bad song at all Duke of York
    But the original lyrics were written/collated by a very bright prof (nb) from Devon, and it is being sung by a bloke from Lincoln and a (talented ) lass from Blackpool.
    At least the tune was written in Bradford though. :)

nb: The prof was Tolkien's predecessor at Leeds

19. scienceteachasghost

My memory of Corby was a soulless town centre after a soulless multi storey car park and dodgy looking youths around the streets.

PS - interesting how our choices can depend on personal experiences.

Justification for some of the others:-

1. London - The impatience! HESITATE EVEN FOR A MICROSEOND ON THE ROADS and you get horned! And there should be a policy where it is compulsory to talk to at least five strangers on the Tube! No need to be so bloody unfriendly!

2. Endless bleak industry and one of the most intimidating town centres me and friends ever had the misfortune to find. Oh, and they are a rival football club to the one I like.

3. It all looks the same outside of the town centre (which is not too bad.) Endless housing estates only distinguishable by the exact nature of the shops on the corner (takeaway, hairdressers, newsagents, bookie.)

4. Although one can escape to Cleethorpes(!) (which is basically a single 400m coastal road to 'forget' you are in Greater Grimsby, nominative determinism well and truly works here.

6. USED to be decent enough with a little theme park and skylift. What clinches this in the top 10 is I went up said skylift as a kid and there was a gutted hotel where you could see right into the old rooms. 10 years later, the SAME gutted hotel is still there. Wisely, the skylift no longer seems to take people up to see a gutted out building, which is a shame, as the Welsh coast is otherwise scenic! The town centre is OK and the waterfront by it but there is a mile of no mans land between that and the railway bridge into Conwy.

8. Any builder of Sim City knows not to put industry and housing together otherwise the housing turns into slums. Well.........in Middlesbrough its like someone forgot that rule, with a random chemical works in the middle of a Georgian or Victorian slum.

9. The Not-Quite-Scots in a large, intimidating, deprived coastal town with one of the bleakest, most horrific league football grounds (and I've bee to Chesterfield's old ground!)

10. A Channel 5 documentary will do a good job of this.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

1. The roads: it sharpens the wits. London drivers expect London driving standards. The horns are probably sounding for out-of-town ditherers.

2. The tube: they are mostly foreign visitors. You can't expect the same sort of communication as you would amongst townsfolk in a provincial outpost where everybody knows everybody else and their business.