1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 steps forward 3 steps back

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grandelf, Sep 14, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Well it was bound to happen at some point, after a good summer of cooking and 99% of things turning out well or at least edible at least!

Tried to make meat and potato pizza pasties.

However the pasty mix would not come together and form a ball which i could work with, so needless the say the kitchen, me, the slow cooker, the sink etc etc etc is/was a mess of sticky semi pastry mess!

Oh well I had fun trying!

PS anyone fancy coming over and cleaning the wooden rolling pin as I cannot bear to touch wooden implements when they are wet! Set my teach on edge.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Well it was bound to happen at some point, after a good summer of cooking and 99% of things turning out well or at least edible at least!

Tried to make meat and potato pizza pasties.

However the pasty mix would not come together and form a ball which i could work with, so needless the say the kitchen, me, the slow cooker, the sink etc etc etc is/was a mess of sticky semi pastry mess!

Oh well I had fun trying!

PS anyone fancy coming over and cleaning the wooden rolling pin as I cannot bear to touch wooden implements when they are wet! Set my teach on edge.

3. Oh dear.
    (Get a box of gloves for the clean up.)

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I love kitchen disasters, it's the only way I ever learnt how to cook anything. I confess, I followed recipes to the letter in the past but in later life, I only use them as ideas.
    If you've found your pastry soggy, what will you do about it next time? Add more water or less water?
    Actually, I've just realised I might come across as a condescending idiot by typing that, and it wasn't my intention.
    Do it again while the experience is fresh in your mind, and play around with the ingredients, that's all I can sugest. It will eventually all come good. Never follow a recipe for pastry by the letter. Develop a feel for it and add water slowly.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Not at all. Its about being a reflective cook!

I don't know what went wrong, i think i didn't work the pastry mix enough, as when it did come together later I have over floured the work top etc so the pastry was very very dry. I added too much water/flour at different times so not sure what i need to change.

Maybe I'll get mum to show me how she makes her when I go home next time :)

But really, anyone coming around to sort out that rolling pin?

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm curious. Was it pastry or pizza dough you were making? If pastry, why wereb they called pizza pasties?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Were they calzones? Usually more of a bread dough than a pastry. Or if they were empanadas, the Spanish version, somewhere in between bread dough and pastry.

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ah well, never mind. As others have said, best to just put the experience behind you and remember how to remedy it next time.
    We all make howlers from time to time. A couple of months ago, I attempted an authentic Mexican dish where lamb is braised with loads of chillies (a mixture of dried ones of various sizes, tastes and strengths), garlic and herbs. Trying to be entirely authentic, I sealed the casserole with a salt dough pastry, as per the recipe. What this did though was turn the pot into a pressure cooker and the contents had the living daylights boiled out of them, resulting in completely dessicated (yet quite tasty) meat. Anyone who's ever cooked lamb shoulder will know that you have to try pretty hard to dry it out! Our guests were extremely polite about it, I must say.
    For future reference, extra flour will remedy a wet pastry dough - keep adding in small amounts and mixing in until the right consistency.

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I can second that. I didn't tell you about the Thai red curry paste I made, did I? Made it the night before, along with the meatballs and put them in the fridge ready for the next day. What I'd forgotten is the dried chillies that I made the paste with weren't ordinary dried chillies. They were superstrength dried chillies that I bought in Mexico last year. Anyway, I fried off the paste and added the coconut milk ready for it to reduce but it smelled a bit potent so I gave it a taste and it blew my head off. Suffice to say, that I got rid of it and made up some kind of random satay sauce thing instead...not my finest Thai cooking.

11. BelleDuJour

If the pastry really is too wet best to bin and start again, as all that extra flour will make the pastry hard.
    Elfie, if you are struggling with pizza dough and it is too wet, extra flour will help. Or else cheat! Buy a pack of pizza dough mix and whack it in a food processor! Should be fine.

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ahh...typo on my part...I meant bread/pizza dough.

13. BelleDuJour

Just checked the recipe link Elfie and it does use a pack of pizza base mix! I think you must have added too much water.
    TBH I'm not sure a meat and potato filling would work with pizza dough, just doesn't sound right. Would be much tastier (IMO) with a nice shortcrust pastry.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Yep, hence the epic fail in not even being able to make a packet mix!

I'm sure it would but the calorie contents of short crust would put the pasty through the roof! which is why I went with the pizza one as it is far lower in calories.

pizza mix = Per 100g 335kcal

Shortcrust = Per 100g 454kcal

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't forget you have a thicker dough if it's a bread/pizza type whereas with shortcrust pastry, it is thinner therefore less of it.