1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 Seconds - Thinking on the Spot...A new resource

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gibb, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a wee bit of help/guidance from folk who use this site. A while back I added a resource called 10 Seconds - Thinking on the Spot that became very popular. It has so far received nearly 300 comments and over 40000 downloads - it sat in the top 5 Highly rated resources for a long time.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/10-Seconds-Thinking-on-the-spot-version-2-6018158/
    I got many private messages with comments such as "You should've posted this elsewhere and charged a small fee" or "I would pay for a resource like this." This has got me thinking...so I have a resource that has been a labour of love called Forty Weeks. It has a range of ideas that can be used in the upper primary. A page for every week of the school year. I have uploaded to Week 6- although I have completed all forty slides.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Forty-Weeks-6094869/requestAction/add/
    If you have a few spare minutes, I'd be grateful if you could check it out and let me know if you think the completed resource might interest you, and if you'd be willing to pay for it. (If so, what would you consider to be a fair amount?) I've also posted this message on Marketplace.
    Many thanks [​IMG]

2. Great ideas. I really like the 10 second game.

How do you envision the 40 week ppt being used?

3. invincible

invincible New commenter

I love the 10 second game! Great idea to use on the last day with my class. Thanks for this!

4. Thanks. I've been using the 40 wks ppt to dip into - just a way to keep all my ideas together. A challenge/numbers/mnemonic for an additional homework task or for early finishers.
    A wee video as a treat at the end of a good day - they often don't last beyond 2mins.
    The inspiration quote on the wall for the week. The challenge and the question during Circle Time. The fact/word of the week/ jokes displayed during registration to read/think about...
    Hope this makes sense :)

5. Yeah, it makes sense. Thank you.

I really like the eclectic mix of things you have on the ppt. I would like to see what it looks like displayed on the IWB before I comment further, if that is ok.

6. I'm a huge fan of Thinking on the Spot - as are my pupils. I love your 40 weeks idea. I would pay for it...about £4 ish... Keep up the good work!

7. I think there are some great ideas here - yes, I would pay for it!

8. Looks good but couple of things:
    a) Most schools can't access You Tube - don't know how many clips would be affected by this? Could the clips be downloaded and packaged with the file?
    b) Are all 9 'cards' on the one ppt slide for each week? I (personally) would prefer each thing to be on one slide so children don't get distracted by the others (for eg), perhaps with the week having a front sheet of all of them, then click on one to go to that slide type thing?
    If I were paying for a resource I would expect this kind of functionality tbh,ie the clips downloaded already for me, the 9 slides for each week with the 1 front sheet - whereas if this was freely shared I would be doing these things myself. Hope that doesn't make me sound grabbing. If these things were addressed I would probably be willing to pay in the region of £10-15 ish, as I really think it is something I could get a lot of use out of over the year. A lower KS2 version would be good as well, for another £10ish (perhaps £20 for both, or £15 for one or something).
    Wonderful collection of things, oddities and thought-provoking things, just the sort of thing we should be doing in school imho, many thanks for sharing.

9. zannar

zannar New commenter

I love this.My children and their parents, during parents in school day, enjoyed the thinking on the spot. I like the mix on this pp and I know that my more able YR3s would love some of the challenges. I would pay for it, possibly about £4 to £5.
    Anything different which makes the children think and offers a challenge, without the 'stress' of what the children would think of as a lesson or test, is a bonus in my view.

Thank you

10. Well said Pixie - I think that was my concern and why I wanted to see it on the IWB but now you've said it, I think you've perfectly expressed my concerns.

The 10 second thing is really punchy and visually strong. Not so sure about how the 40 week thing will look - the quality is definitely there, its just a question of packaging.

11. Aw, I love it! I've sat and worked through the challenges and would be keen to see more. There's an awful lot of work here - and you deserve some small renumeration for it. I would agree with the £4 -£5 mark and would also be interested in a middle primary version. Do you work full time - can't imagine myself finding the time to do something like this!!

12. Thank you all so much for your comments.They're really helpful.
    I do agree with you HP re.all boxes on one page.
    b) Are all 9 'cards' on the one ppt
    slide for each week? I (personally) would prefer each thing to be on one
    slide so children don't get distracted by the others (for eg), perhaps
    with the week having a front sheet of all of them, then click on one to
    go to that slide type thing?

What I've done is zoom
    by 320% so the one card I'm using fits the screen.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

13. Hi, first of all, well done on a couple of cracking resources!
    As others have said, I'd probably prefer it with individual cards on individual slides - idiot me couldn't enlarge it to 320 %! I think it's a lovely idea but I can;t get Youtube in school, which is a shame as the clips look great.
    Also, I couldn't the joke answers to appear, maybe it worked in the Slide Show, I was looking at the slides. Are there answers for the challenges? I'm going mad figuring out what those words have in common! banana, dresser, potato, etc!

I would definitely pay for this - probably 10 -12 pounds for the 40 week resource and maybe 3-4 quid for the 10 seconds. I would want a middle primary version though!

14. Thanks GK. Once again, really valuable feedback.
    I've put answers and pupil worksheets etc at the end of the Ppt.I really like the challenge that you asked about. Answer is ...remove the first letter and place it at the end of the word - each word now reads the same backwards. It works for assess, banana, dresser, grammar, potato, revive, uneven and voodoo.

15. Thank you! i could see there was some sort of semi-palindromic quality, but it must have been too late at night to figure it out!

Good luck!

16. Ah, thanks - will give that a go (sorry, end of term brain lol)