1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 Nice things: Mercia Lee

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by janeriordan, Feb 22, 2012.

1. I played this at an Early Years conference years ago, started collecting the 'nice' things but never got around to playing it. I think each child had a bowl and then a treasure box, full of lovely things, was passed around the circle. They all start off with 'ten nice things' and then, going around the circle each child is allowed to request another child to give them 'x' number of things from their bowl.
    On the second time around the circle I think the adult states a number and the children then have to either give away or ask for the requisite number of things to make the items in their bowl match the number said by the adult.
    My memory of it is a bit sketchy and I never tried it - with the cohort I had at the time it would have been more an exercise in sharing and taking turns than maths.
    Hope this helps a little.

2. Thank you ......thank you ........thank you..........

3. anyone else seen it in action??

4. Hi
    I remember going on a Key Stage One Maths course and she did it there! I thought I had notes about it- I will have a look! I seem to think that I played it with a dice, but then I'm old now so I could be just VERY confused! Which authority is it you work for? Maybe you could ask your EY Team and they would find out/ recall? Or you could email her, I think she is working as a consultant now, Im sure she would answer your email if you could find details for her!

5. I think this is the same as the game '10 interesting things' in the Numbers and Patterns document on page 68.
    Children each start with 10 things and then roll a dice and take that number of items from the plates of the other players. Lots of talk about more/less, numbers to 20, addition/subtraction facts. I usually keep going as long as the children are enjoying it! Have fun

6. It isn't the same game as in Numbers and Patterns ( but thank you!)- maybe a bit similar. I think it also has a PHSE slant on it too? Anyone else? Requesting favourite things then giving away favourite things......Anyone else heard of it?

7. anyone.......?