1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10%, more like 2.5!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Jul 24, 2019.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

So I got my July payslip today with the monthly net details (our backdated pay was paid in full last month). I compared July to May and I am only just over £50 better off. Comparing July to May - Tax is up 15%, NI up 50% and Pension up 23% leaving a measly 2.5% in take-home pay. Hardly worth all the effort over the past 18 months campaigning for better pay.

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Have you got a breakdown of how this was calculated from your council? I would be asking for one to check there's no mistakes. My own council makes mistakes all the time so I don't trust them at all. I would compare with March first of all, before the pay rise to see what you baseline was before the rise kicked in

Can't see how NI is up by 50% and your pension by 23%. Yes, you are earning more but it should be roughly in line with what your pay has gone up by (10% or thereabouts).

3. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

March, April & May were all the same, we didn't get our rise till June when all our backdated pay was lumped in so I wasn't able to compare until this month. Running an online check for NI for a £40k salary we should be paying £316 a month, they've taken over £100 more than that from me so I guess it's a mistake.

4. HonestGuv

HonestGuv New commenter

Dumfries and Galloway undercharged NI payments by £100 (aprox) last month when backdated pay was all settled to staff. This month they added the £100 to Ni Payments so teachers pay only for this month was £100 down.