1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 minute reading activity

Discussion in 'English' started by h_ping, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am looking for some ideas for reading activities with a group of yr 2's. I have 10 minutes!
    If anyone could put me onto some good resources that would be great.

Many thanks

Helen

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What do you hope the children to gain from the reading? Are you looking for decoding of text or comprehension activities?

3. It is part of my teacher training interview. So I have been given very little information, other than I will have to carry out a reading related activity. I am thinking in ten minutes it will need to be as creative and fun as I can make it, and I am thinking of maybe discussing characters from books, or playing a reading related game, or creating a storyboard or something along these lines which will involve the children. I can not use a white board, so I need to find other ways to inject interest into the short time I have. Any topic ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Helen

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You need to do something you yourself feel confident with. The main point of this exercise is to showcase how you interact with a group of children, so you need to capitalise on <u>your</u> personality, <u>your</u> strengths.
    Find something you'd like to share with a group of children & go from there.

5. Do they need to read during it? Or can you practise reading related skills? For example, have a plain bag with objects in it and they all relate to a character out of a book. Pull out an object at a time and question them to draw out their deducing and inference skills. E.g. Pair of big black boots - santa? Gardener?
    Sword - pirate?

Then that would lead to a very short sory involving that character. More of a lesson, I suppose, but all they've given you time for is a starter.

Or, have a sentence with some nonsense words in it - have children read back and forth to guess the meaning. This is like reading in real life.

I'm a secondary school teacher, so sorry if my ideas are a bit rubbish. Just used my knowldge of the (very) bottom sets. Good luck with it all.

6. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

I'd concentrate on an exercise that concentrates on enjoyment and engagement, rather than any sort of comprehension or analysis.

I think of it like this: interest comes before understanding, which comes before analysis, which comes before evaluation, which feeds back into interest. As you have a 10 minute activity, you can't jump the gun!

7. Thanks for your replies,
    I have had some time to think about it and have now got some ideas to work on.

Thanks
    Helen.