1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 minute job observation! Help?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cathyalexandercastroafonso, Apr 15, 2017.

1. It's my first ever job interview and I've only been given 10 minutes to show off.

I will be teaching a year 3 class and have the choice whether to teach maths or English.

Please post any ideas as I'm really struggling to find something that would fit that time frame yet worthy of an observation

2. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I would just do a starter type activity as 10 minutes clearly isn't enough time for a lesson. So pick a maths game or a sentence activity, maybe a sorting activity to do in groups or something using mini whiteboards.
    They will only really be looking to see how well you interact with the children in this length of time.

Pomz, Landofla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Sounds great! Using the mini whiteboards is a good idea or perhaps a speaking and listening activity to get the kids talking. I'd go down the 'getting to know you' games route, which would allow for teacher modelling too. Obvs the kids will know each other already but you could discuss a favourite holiday/something important/themed. I'm sure the observers will be looking to see what your rapport is like with the kids. All the best!

Pomz likes this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Definitely use the whiteboards - Get all the kids engaged from the very start.

Ten minutes is ludicrously short - Not a second to waste!

Try to make the kids laugh somewhere at the very start too - Demonstrate that you have rapport building skills... Maybe show an amusing image of some sort and attempt some kind of quickie vocabulary/sentence building activity, describing what they can see...

Good luck!

Landofla likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd definitely be teaching them, not just playing games. Yes, you do want a rapport with the class, but you also need to show You Can Teach!

Ten minutes is short, but you can probably stretch it to twelve or thirteen if you are careful.
    Ask if you can set up the room before the children come in/before the lesson and have absolutely everything given out and ready to go. Do not use precious minutes with giving out and chattering. Quick (smiling, positive, happy) introduction and get on.

I'd do maths and look at the harder aspects of the year 3 NC, introducing one of those.
    But yeps, whiteboard for me too.

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. NeKo

NeKo New commenter

Like caterpillartobutterfly said, make sure everything is prepped before if you can. A friend went to teach a lesson for an interview, had planned for whiteboards and they had none so either check the school has them or have a back up plan if they don't. They still got the job but said it wasn't a good feeling!

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

How ridiculous. Off the top of my head, I would suggest a simple literary device. "Teach" them it's features and exemplify, have them have a go at one or two - perhaps collaboratively - and maybe quickly peer assess to round up.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.