1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 mile menu

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Si N. Tiffick, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I've caught this programme a couple of times over the past week- daytime telly is getting to me. It's got me thinking though- I'd be quite limited in what I could make if I were limited to produce from a 10 mile radius of where I live. Firstly, I live on the water, so there's nowt much but fish on that side of me. Lots of it, mind you, and good quality. I wonder if it's caught within 10 miles of me, though? Other than seafood, there's a few farms where I could get eggs, lamb, and beef, and some great island cheeses which would just get into the 10 mile radius. My butcher does wonderful hams but the pigs are from his father in law's farm, which is outwith the 10 miles. Potatoes are plentiful, and there'd be some basic veggies in my garden. Great bacon is produced near me. I'd miss fruit and veg, though!
    So anyway, I really am rambling- the questions are-
    1. What great produce can you get within a 10 mile radius?
    2. What would you miss?

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Great thread Si.
    Erm...I think that if you have fish landed within 10 miles then that has to count, given that only boat-dwellers would be able to eat much of our fish and seafood otherwise.
    So...lot of fish and seafood - a boatyard near us has a tiny shack that takes in fish from the dayboats that haul it in every day. Never know what's going to be there, nor what's going to be cheap.
    A farm shop about a mile from our sells a huge range of their own seasonal fruit and veg as well as having pick your own.
    Another nearby sells their own eggs.
    We have a vineyard within 10 miles.
    We have some local cheeses, but I'd have to get the map out to check the distances!
    Not much meat produced within 10 miles...

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

1. Precious little without a car. Although we have a butchers c.um greengrocers in our village, threre is nowhere that stocks all the other things you need unless it's eggs bread crisps and cheap biscuits. It would be great to visit the local farm shops to discover what they have, but the reality is I can't for two reasons. Firstly, I can't get there without transport, and secondly, they're all closed by the time I get back from work.
    2. Everything I value.
    I'm sounding negative, but I think it's a brilliant idea to be able to buy everything you need locally, and it fits in with many of my own preferences for how we should live. The reality is some are able to enjoy local produce, some aren't.
    I have to say, I've been doing my bit to reduce food miles for the past couple of months by having Tesco deliver. It's far cheaper in transport costs for me and it seems to me better that a single driver can deliver to ten houses on a journey than make the recipients have ten separate journeys.
    Tesco's service is excellent. Nothing is a problem. And this, I think, is where the local providers need to get their act together. Tesco will deliver whenever it suits you, whatever the time of day, and even if you're not able to be in, as I discovered this week, they bend over backwards to be accomodating.
    Much as I hate the power Tesco and the others has over the food we buy, it seems to me it's impossible to fight it without similar local provision.
    How can a local shop that closes at 5.00pm possibly survive these days? And yet, all our local shops apart from the minimarkets etc do. And I can see they're all struggling.

4. Si N. Tiffick

MM- I don't think I explained myself properly- the idea is what foods are produced within a 10 mile radius of where you live, not necessarily what foods you can buy within a 10 mile radius...to illustrate, there's a Spar shop in the next village that would sell me all manner of crisps and whatnot, but they're not produced locally.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

With respect, MM, I feel you might have missed the point of Si's questions...I think she wanted to know what food is produced within 10 miles of your house. Not what you can buy within 10 miles of your house.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ah...beat me to it, Si!

7. Fish, from the Rhein, although I am not too keen on eel.
    Fresh veg such as asparagus, carrots, tatties, peas, beans, peppers, chillies, tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, salad, mushrooms, pumpkins, leeks, onions, etc.
    Fruit such as plums, cherries, kiwis, apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, brambles, gooseberries, etc.
    Meat, although lamb is scarce in this area.
    Nuts - walnuts, hazlenuts
    Exotic fruit, such as pineapple, mango, etc.
    Tuna fish.
    Salmon.
    Aubergines (grown here but only tiny amounts)
    Pine nuts, peanuts (although I can grow a handful in a bottle).

8. Forgot cheese - everything available in my area (if you forget copyright stuff such as camenbert, etc).
    Except cheddar. Nobody can do a cheddar like the Brits can.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Wow, CQ! I am very jealous- the most exciting veg grown in a 10 mile radius of me is neeps- and they're grown for the cattle! We certainly don't have any commercial fruit grown near here- the nearest fruit farm I know of is about 20 miles away and only does summer berries. Maybe I could scrounge some gooseberries from my mum's neighbour...
    Perhaps you'd trade me some fruit and veg for some proper nippy island cheddars, whisky and lamb?

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Ok, I missed the point.
    There's a field outside our back garden that's full of wheat. In a few weeks, a combine harvester will trash it, as they do every year, creating clouds of dust. It isn't really a problem as it only takes half an hour to clear the entire field,
    Where the wheat ends up, who has any idea?
    But I have to commend them on their efficiency. They trouble my dog no more than 3 times a year. We'll look forward to the nearest barking day in eager anticipation when it occurs.
    It's incredible to watch. Everything is so precise. The combine harvester goes about it's business, and regularly, tractors with trailors arrive alongside to unload the cargo. If you think about the precison involved in refueleling aircraft in mid-air whilst on missions, it's a bit like that.
    And then after the dust has settled in our garden, we watch them move onto other fields.
    These guys work long hours. I imagine the pay is good whilst they can get it, but I expect the cost of hire of the equipment and the limited amount of it when it's needed is their biggest earner.

11. Anytime.
    The grass is always greener - but usually, there is more locally available than you think.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Not commercially farmed fruit and veg, though, when you're out in the wilds! But, you're propably right- if I took up hunting I could probably bag myself all manner of game. In some places, they eat sea birds- we've certainly got plenty of those! I could forage rosehips and nettles for tea/ soup/ jelly. There might even be some mushrooms in the woods down by...

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I am lucky, fish caught, not within 10 miles, but within a mile of my house, lamb bred within 5 miles, eggs and honey 4 miles, vegetables and soft fruit grown within a mile and in our garden, blackberries 2-400 yards, wine 5 miles. Bread would be the only problem, the wheat may be grown locally, as it is, but after it is made into flour, who knows where it goes.

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Butcher sources meat within 10 miles, honey and eggs are also within 10 miles, fruit and veg is bought from the market but I doubt it all comes from within a 10 mile radius - bread is baked at a bakery next to a studio where Mr EG often works and they make the most heavenly cakes and cheesecakes.
    One of my favourite places to shop is at the Egyptian supermarket - none of it comes from a 10 mile radius.

15. There's an article on this in August's Country Living magazine, focussing on Wales, but also Cornwall, Northumberland, East Anglia, Lancashire and Somerset.

16. Oooh!
    I could get just about everything I would need - bread/wheat would be a problem as the nearest mill is further away though.
    All meat but no fish, well maybe eels.
    Loads of fruit - minus the exotics
    Lots of veg - including some exotics!
    No rice, no pasta etc.
    Our local farm shop is 6 miles away and he has food miles on all products. Most of his suppliers are towards my home - there's a river or 2 in the way the other way. So almost everything he sells is OK for a 10 mile menu. Even the most exotic of mushrooms can be bought - just 3 miles away!
    All sorts of milk, cream and ice cream also very local.... Cheeses, very wide selection (let me have 12 miles and I can still eat Charles Martells cheeses - he does Stinking Bishop and single and double gloucester, which I am nibbling now).
    I don't need to leave the garden for eggs, plums, greengages, apples, inedible but excruciatingly rare pears, damson, cob nuts and a selection of greens and herbs that I am just about self sufficient in. And as I have sowed them all from seed I collected last year I can include them without worrying about the miles the seeds travelled [​IMG]
    Oh!!!! Perry and cider are 2 fields away (the raw ingredients about 20 feet away). There is a microbrewery 4 miles away, but his ingredients come from afar!
    I can do elderflower cordial and could have done so much more, but the alcohol bases are from too far away.... I could do mead.......
    There's bound to be more... I just haven't found it yet.