1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 Key Topics for Edexcel GCSE Unit 3 revision

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

This was Tandy's idea in another thread.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/463070.aspx
    So what do you think 10 key topics......
    How about;

1. Percentages -write one number as a fraction of another and convert to a percentage
    - calculate percentage increases
    - find original values when given sale price
    -Simple and compound interest
    2. Direct and inverse proportion
    3. Trial and improvement
    4. Forming and solving equations, substituting positive and negative numbers into formula and rearranging formula
    5. Right angled triangle trigonometry and Pythagoras’ Theorem
    6. Solving simultaneous equations
    7. Circle Theorems
    8. Nets, plans and elevations, isometric drawings
    9. Transformations of graphs
    10. Vectors
    If you were going to add a topic what would you take off to keep it to 10 items or is 10 just not enough for Higher, I think Foundation papers are a lot more predictable.

2. Ratio and Proportion.(recipes and the like)
    Transfromations (rotation/reflection/translations/enlarg etc)
    Noddy indices
    Fractions (All operations)
    Those 4 in and anything A/A star out as additional work for pupils wanting an A star. Based on the November paper you can easily get very high UMS with the basics from year 9 downwards with a small % of marks being allocated to anything hard.
    If you have very able kids then allow them to focus on the top end and I would look at sine/cosine/area of triangle for them.
    Any kids A/B grade and below the above topics (on top of your ones) IMO is the way to go. The hours spent teaching harder topics IMO is better spent nailing the utter basics.
    The variation and vectors questions were laughable on the november paper.

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Wot!! No stats or prob?
    Take off Circle Theorems, I know why people think they should be included, but they are wrong.[​IMG]
    Replace with Descriptive statistics.

I'm not to sure about Nets, plans, elevations and isometric drawing; fun stuff, but not key topics.
    Replace with Probability, including Mutually exclusive and independent events, and tree diagrams.

Of course, I am being highly cynical here, this is stuff you'll need in the exam and for any other maths you do. And I have never taught Edexcel GCSE

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

These topics are all tested in an earlier unit, so they don't appear in unit 3.

5. I suspect he means, "one's wife". That's how I read it anyway. I don't think it was a personal dig at Mrs Ian60.

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Thanks Betamale, I agree the 10 key topics depend on what grade the pupils are at, I was trying to do one 10 key topics for Higher list but after your post I think B grade candidates need one list and A* another. I suppose I was writing the list thinking about my current class of A/B pupils and I was hoping that transformations etc could be assumed as OK!

7. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Betamale, what are Noddy indices??

8. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I assume these are the really easy ones. Eg x^3 * x^4
    And not 27^(-2/3)

9. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Yeah that's what I thought fractional and negative indices do come up sometimes though.

10. Ian I dont now you so it cannot be personal. As stated previously...One's wife should have been used [​IMG]
    My statement merely outlines how boring stats is rather than anything about your wife. You should not take it as a dig. I only throw digs at one member here.......
    I know I would happily swap my wife for the situation outlined.
    Indices
    Noddy ones, as stated are the easy silly ones that should be only on foundation. I believe there 4 marks for the edexcel ones last time
    1 mark for something to the zero power
    1 mark for a positive integer
    1-2 for 16^1/4 or something similar
    IMO good kids know this, dragging the topic out is not worth 1-2 marks (as with many other topics) when you get given 4-5 marks for comparing % discounts

11. AQA have a resources site called 'AQA Live' where they give example lesson plans and (very poor) resources. When I read some of the examples they gave for the 2010 spec I thought things were really changing and getting harder. In reality, the maths in the papers is getting easier. The only thing that's changed, as noted earlier, is that the pupils now need a better level of English, both reading and writing.

Indices is like so many other topics. Usually they put the Noddy ones on but every few years throw in a harder one to make people go 'it was a reasonable paper but I didn't like the indices question.'