1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10 BEST places in the UK to live!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 25, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I think its been done before but lets balance the 'worst places' thread out!

Here are mine (note that these don't necessarily correspond with the 10 best places to visit as one might like to visit a place but not live there!)

1. Manchester. A superb public transport system, arguably the second city of the UK (sorry Birmingham.) with culture etc to rival London. Close proximity to the Peak District and the coast.

2. Birmingham. Some would say a controversial choice and you might probe and ask 'which parts of Birmingham then?' (Moseley for bohemian-ness and 'village' feel in a city? Harbourne for its mix of professionals? Maybe not Handsworth........) But Birmingham has perhaps the best clubbing and nightlife scene in the country. Broad Street for your commercial tastes, the Jewellery Quarter if you want to go upmarket, Digbeth for the warehousey raves, Hurst street for the gay village! You can get anywhere in the UK (bar north Scotland) with a not too insanely long drive/train journey and the down to earth, dour Brummie humour is unrivalled despite the appalling accent.

3. Newcastle. Like Manc, excellent public transport and culture and the coast. The climate is the one thing not on its side (IMO) however!

4. Parts of Kent. OK so you need to win the Lottery to afford to actually live there. But the South East often clings on to Summer when Atlantic fronts have wiped the sun off the rest of the UK. And its the best place to easily **** off for a daytrip (or longer) to the Continent from.

5. Bristol. There is something about Bristol that exudes friendliness and the place has a marvellous waterfront town centre, mild climate and fascinating little suburbs (One can get envious of those living there watching the colourful backdrops in Skins!)

6. Bournemouth. Miles of sandy promenade on a south facing coast and a big enough place to keep you in work/interesting things to do. And beautiful gardens/proximity to the New Forest.

7. London. Yes, you read right! One can have a Marmite relationship with a place and put it in both lists! But again six balls are needed to afford to live there! And then one would be choosy about the suburb one lives in!

8. Nottingham. Most pubs per square mile in the UK(?) and Sherwood Forest nearby.

9. York. The home city of a marvellous county. Again, good choice of pubs even if the club nightlife is a bit lacking!

10. Brighton. Any place that votes in the Greens to Westminster must be progressive and forward thinking. Which we need.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

PS you will notice I have chosen cities. As a (relatively) young person I desire the amenities etc that go with it. (PS I currently don't live in either of my 2 lists but not too far from one on the 'best' list.) Although the countryside is beautiful and nice for a short break, living in the middle of nowhere would drive me mad!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

1. Christchurch - close to Bournemouth, New Forest, beaches, restaurants....has it all!
    2. Manchester - same reasons as above
    3. Cornwall......just about anywhere but love Polzeath and Padstow
    4. Pembroke...........again, just about anywhere!
    5. Brighton. Funky!
    6. Newcastle - as above! Agree about the weather.
    7. Norfolk coast...........stunning!
    8. London......love London.
    9. Henley........river, regatta, festival, fun!
    10. Lake District...............need I say more?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

To live?

1. Where I live now.
    2 - 10 most market towns/large villages in Cheshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire (there ought to be 9 I'd like)

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I like living in the middle of nowhere. When I lived in a city I didn't use the amenities! Now I get a bit shellshocked by the noise and the people and the lack of two minutes to yourself.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

:confused:
    I thought London was the UK's second city, but I know some people claim it's Brum or one of those colonial capitals, but your comment seems to imply that you think it's Manchester. I am reading you correctly aren't I?

7. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Edinburgh is actually top according to a recent Quality of Life index.
    Fact.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Far too cold up in Scotland and anyway, who knows for how long it will fulfil the criterion (being in the UK)? And while I am using the word criterion, may I point out that it is singular and its plural is criteria. I know I'm being pedantic but I've seen it wrongly used on here at least half a dozen times this week and we should all know better than that!