1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10-15 minutes circle time with Y1 for NQT interview - thoughts/ advice please :)

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by elaine87, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have just found out that I have an interview in a couple of days and have been asked to deliver a circle time with about ten Y1 children (15 mins max!) Although I am still an NQT I have taught for about a year and a half...but in another country so I haven't taught in the UK since I finished training 2 and a half year ago. I have a few ideas (albeit scattered) and am looking for some advice/ feedback please :)
    1) Do something along the lines of an 'I am special' theme. Have a mirror in a box/ bag and tell the children there is something very special inside the bag. Get the children (in pairs) to think of one or two questions they would like to ask me about what's inside the bag in order to figure out what it is. Then, after they've all given their ideas - reveal the mirror! Obviously I would need to put a starter game beforehand (thinking of getting them to swap places, e.g. 'if you have blonde hair, swap places with someone who doesn't have blonde hair' etc.) And for finishing off maybe go around the circle (with a speaking object) and get each child to say something special about the child they were partnered with for the activity.
    2) I thought of doing something about Summer or maybe 'Changes' but I think they will probably have done a lot of that this term (?) Plus, 'Changes' may be more appropriate for Y2 going into a new school/ key stage. If I did do Summer/ Changes' I thought maybe the following:
    > Do swapping places activity at the start - ask children what we've done? (swapped/ changed places); introduce that we're going to think about some changes and whether we think they are good/ bad.
    > (I thought of maybe reading 'Changes' by Anthony Browne but maybe not best one for this/ Y1?Show picture of Winter (snow etc) - what time of year might this be? How do you know? Then show picture of Summer (e.g. children playing on a beach) - same Qs again plus 'what is different about this picture?' (i.e. spotting changes.) If you could be in one of these pictures which would you choose? (go around circle and ask each child to give their name and their answer or maybe just show of hands as it's quicker!)
    > What would happen if you were in this picture (or Season) all the time, if it didn't change? Talk partners? E.g. would you like it to be Summer all the time? Why? If yes, would you miss Christmas? And vice versa. (I'm sort of going against using a speaking object here as then technically I should be taking it each time I want to ask a Q!)
    > So is change always good/ always bad? (i.e. changes can be both positive and negative.) You have a big change coming up soon don't you - what's that!? (i.e. moving to Y2.) (Maybe bring speaking object in here) Each child then states one positive thing about moving into Y2 (maybe will need to be modelled?)
    I did think of doing 'sqeak, piggy spueak' or something as a listening activity but I think that may be seen as too basic for Y1s about to move into Y2?? I don't know anything about the children which is making it difficult to choose so ANY ADVICE would be much appreciated :)
    Many thanks!

2. Hello,
    I have just found out that I have an interview in a couple of days and have been asked to deliver a circle time with about ten Y1 children (15 mins max!) Although I am still an NQT I have taught for about a year and a half...but in another country so I haven't taught in the UK since I finished training 2 and a half year ago. I have a few ideas (albeit scattered) and am looking for some advice/ feedback please :)
    1) Do something along the lines of an 'I am special' theme. Have a mirror in a box/ bag and tell the children there is something very special inside the bag. Get the children (in pairs) to think of one or two questions they would like to ask me about what's inside the bag in order to figure out what it is. Then, after they've all given their ideas - reveal the mirror! Obviously I would need to put a starter game beforehand (thinking of getting them to swap places, e.g. 'if you have blonde hair, swap places with someone who doesn't have blonde hair' etc.) And for finishing off maybe go around the circle (with a speaking object) and get each child to say something special about the child they were partnered with for the activity.
    2) I thought of doing something about Summer or maybe 'Changes' but I think they will probably have done a lot of that this term (?) Plus, 'Changes' may be more appropriate for Y2 going into a new school/ key stage. If I did do Summer/ Changes' I thought maybe the following:
    > Do swapping places activity at the start - ask children what we've done? (swapped/ changed places); introduce that we're going to think about some changes and whether we think they are good/ bad.
    > (I thought of maybe reading 'Changes' by Anthony Browne but maybe not best one for this/ Y1?Show picture of Winter (snow etc) - what time of year might this be? How do you know? Then show picture of Summer (e.g. children playing on a beach) - same Qs again plus 'what is different about this picture?' (i.e. spotting changes.) If you could be in one of these pictures which would you choose? (go around circle and ask each child to give their name and their answer or maybe just show of hands as it's quicker!)
    > What would happen if you were in this picture (or Season) all the time, if it didn't change? Talk partners? E.g. would you like it to be Summer all the time? Why? If yes, would you miss Christmas? And vice versa. (I'm sort of going against using a speaking object here as then technically I should be taking it each time I want to ask a Q!)
    > So is change always good/ always bad? (i.e. changes can be both positive and negative.) You have a big change coming up soon don't you - what's that!? (i.e. moving to Y2.) (Maybe bring speaking object in here) Each child then states one positive thing about moving into Y2 (maybe will need to be modelled?)
    I did think of doing 'sqeak, piggy spueak' or something as a listening activity but I think that may be seen as too basic for Y1s about to move into Y2?? I don't know anything about the children which is making it difficult to choose so ANY ADVICE would be much appreciated :)
    Many thanks!

3. Hello 'elaine87',
    I'm starting my NQT year this September in Year 1.
    I liked the idea of the first activity using the mirror because you could really get your teeth into it and concentrate on emotions, facial expressions, 'pass the smile' and that kind of thing. But I also liked the sound of your second to last idea: change regarding the transition into year 2. Obviously with it being the end of the school year, this seems very appropriate.
    My advice to you would be:
    Don't under estimate how long it actually takes to get round the circle of a group of six year olds. Before I was offered my new job, I was working for a long time on supply in a year one class. I learned very quickly during carpet time to allow for those children thinking, those children who talk continuously until they're off topic and especially for any questions that may pop up unexpectedly during the session. I often ran over my time and with you only having a set 15 minutes (max), this may be something you will need to be careful of.
    Good luck though and fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]

4. Thanks so much for the reply 'beats_56' - advice much appreciated :)
    Changed idea completely since I posted this :O Going to attempt to do a cooperative game and get them to begin to identify some of the skills which are important for solving a problem together as a group. Going to start off by introducing the concept, i.e. that I'm going to give them a challenge/ problem which they need to solve working together. Going to show them the hula hoop and explain that they're all going to stand in a circle holding hands and that the hoop has to make its way around the circle without them letting go of eachother's hands. (I have debated whether I should do it also as I would really like to because it's always better to be fully involved but due to the height etc of Y1s compared to me, it may not be a good call!)
    Then once we've done it (hopefully), I will ask them to talk to a partner beside them for 1 minute and come up with one skill/ thing they needed to use/do to work together successfully.
    A bit risky for an observation but hopefully it will go OK! I just want to do something different and which they'll hopefully enjoy, whilst keeping them active! Will let you know how it goes :)