1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

10-15 minute literacy/phonics interview lesson ideas?

Discussion in 'English' started by Teapot37, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I too am now in this situation. Sad no one replied to you. Can anyone help me?
    Thank you.

2. Has the school told you which phonics phase the pupils are working at? If not, it makes it rather difficult. However, if you can't find that out, perhaps you could assume (dangerous I know) that they are perhaps stuck in phase 5 or 6. The national expectations are that pupils should be secure in phase 5 by the end of year 1 and phase 6 by the end of year 2. My experience is that there are lots of pupils who are still way below these phases even in key stage 2. Phases 5-6 could be fairly safe options.

So, what to do?

Letters and sounds contains examples of activities to do at all phases. Find one that you like the sound of.

Support for spelling starts as a complement to phase 6, with objectives and activities beyond that right up to year 6.

I'm sure you'll find something you can use in either of these. Some good websites to try include:

letters-and-sounds.com

phonicsplay

There are loads of others but I can't remember the names of them but they'll come up if you google them.

The main thing to remember is to get all of the pupils involved: they shouldn't be sitting watching one child at a time doing something on the interactive whiteboard for instance - okay whilst in the brief 'teaching' section of the lesson but not for very long.

I've got some resources on TES that explain more about phonics and I'm fairly sure I put up a blank phonics planner - click on my name and have a look through my resources. If you have any questions once you're developing your ideas, please do ask.