1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1-year topup degree in Education - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TeachingOk, Jul 23, 2019.

1. TeachingOk

TeachingOk New commenter

I'm thinking of taking a 1 year top up degree for more training within Education before I do my PGCE. This course is titled "BEd (Hons) Education and Early Years". It doesn't come with QTS as far as I know and doesn't have a practicum element to it, but that won't be a problem as I'm going to do my PGCE after this course anyway. I have a Bachelors in a completely unrelated field.

I'm concerned about how my employers will see this - they'll see that I completed this degree in one year as I'm going to do my PGCE the next. I'm sure my employers won't see this course as equal to a proper 3/4 year B.Ed, so I'm concerned if I'm just going to be wasting my money. Not concerned about spending a year of my time studying because it's going towards a career I want to work in.

What do you think?

2. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

top up degrees are usually to top up foundation degrees not as a stand alone degree

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Complete waste of money. As said above, it's a top-up to foundation degree. Have you already secured a place on a PGCE and if so, is it for primary or secondary phase? If secondary your subject degree is highly relevant and if for primary it needs to reflect aspects of the national curriculum.

Save your money and your time.

4. TeachingOk

TeachingOk New commenter

I have not secured a place on a PGCE yet and if I do it all be for Primary.

I have a Bachelor's just not in education and I figured a top up would help me secure a place on a PGCE, look better on my resume and give me some additional training.

5. phatsals

TeachingOk likes this.
  6. phatsals

What is your degree in? Look at all the aspects of it and show how it can link to the curriculum. Get some experience in schools either paid or voluntary.

7. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I’m baffled that some, not just on this forum but in everyday encounters in this country, consider further studies as complete waste of money and time. In all of my educational pursuits, I’ve benefited immensely from enrolling on different academic degrees and constantly tapped into knowledge gained in the process. Are university courses no longer what they used to be? What makes them waste of money?

OP. If you already have a degree and it’s in the subject you plan to teach (assuming you intend working in the secondary sector), then you simply need to undertake a PGCE. If it’s primary and it covers the national curriculum, then you need not enrol on another degree. However, if the ITE requires you to complete further units in order to be admitted, I’m unsure the BEd course would meet that requirement. However, if this course prepares you for certain aspects of your professional career in education e.g. SEN, educational psychology, philosophy of education, etc., I would enrol on it as it would ultimately benefit you professionally (not monetarily, of course).

TeachingOk likes this.
  8. phatsals

Some people spend their entire lives studying and thoroughly enjoy it, it's entirely their choice. To advise someone to spend up the £9k on a course that is of no use to them is a different matter.

It would most certainly not benefit them professionally. Experience in primary schools would.

TeachingOk and stanley4shoes like this.
  9. TeachingOk

TeachingOk New commenter

Thank you everyone for your helpful contributions.

Firstly, I haven't been accepted into a PGCE program yet as I plan to apply for entry in September 2020 so unfortunately I am not eligible for any SKEs at this stage.

I do have experience in a Primary school so hopefully that will help my application into a PGCE.

One of the reasons for my consideration of the top-up degree was to spruce up my C.V. but it seems to be waste of money so it looks like I've have to reconsider.

10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Most teachers just have their degree in their subject area or a closely related subject? At least at secondary level.

For example I teach Maths but my degree is in Computer Science which had heavy Maths content.

I've never actually heard of anyone with a 1 year in Education. May be different for primary though.

11. TeachingOk

TeachingOk New commenter

Just re read your post - my current Bachelor's doesn't touch upon the national curriculum in any way, shape or form as it has nothing to do with education.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, it sounds like I might need the top up degree after all?

12. stanley4shoes

but if it's a bachelor's degree then you won't be able to 'top it up' those 1 year courses are for folk with foundation degrees, to make them into a bachelor degree.

13. phatsals

What's your degree in? If you give us a clue we could possibly help break it down for you.

FWIW I was a Politics graduate and have taught in primary for several decades.

School experience will carry you a long way, look at your A'levels, if necessary do one that's relevant. There's always a way and it won't cost you the best part of £9k.

14. stanley4shoes

As above, you probably need to tell us more specifically. I start my Secondary Science PGCE in September, I've a professional bachelors, research masters (MPhil) and PhD, none of which technically cover the national curriculum, but all of which have provided me useful skills and knowledge to be a teacher.

What's your degree in?