1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 Year Fixed term Contract- Summer holiday pay?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by EmHitchon, Apr 29, 2020.

1. EmHitchon

EmHitchon New commenter

I have just accepted a job for starting in September for 1 year fixed term contract. I will be an NQT, I haven't yet received my contract but wanted to ask around to see if anyone might know. Will I get paid over summer next year? Or will the 1 year fixed term really only mean Sep- July in terms of the academic year?
    Thank you

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

A one year Fixed Term contract should end on 31st August next year. The exceptions to this tend to be maternity cover, when it's 'the return of the postholder'. This usually means the postholder returns just before the summer holiday begins, and the person on contract has their employment terminated. Unfair as it's an entire years work for less than an entire years pay, but perfectly legal. If your new employer is an Academy, they are not obliged to follow STPCD and may also try to have an earlier end date of last day of term.

Check your contract carefully when it comes, that it's to 31st August. If it isn't, query it with the school or look for another job from Christmas that will pay you over the summer.

Teapot345 and TheoGriff like this.