1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 week to go until our new jobs... so what are we all doing?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Looby_Lou14, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Looby_Lou14

Looby_Lou14 New commenter

I am frantically going over my lesson plans, downloading and creating as many resources as I can for my first 2 weeks of lessons (secondary English), sorting out my stamps and stickers, class lists and folders, putting together my new pencil cases (I am a stationery geek) and getting more and more nervous everyday, worrying that I am going to mess up in some way!

what about everyone else?

2. Looby_Lou14

I am frantically going over my lesson plans, downloading and creating as many resources as I can for my first 2 weeks of lessons (secondary English), sorting out my stamps and stickers, class lists and folders, putting together my new pencil cases (I am a stationery geek) and getting more and more nervous everyday, worrying that I am going to mess up in some way!

what about everyone else?

3. Wishing I had done as much as you...

4. Looby_Lou14

haha, to be fair though I am VERY good at looking organised, acting busy... then thinking "oops I haven't thought of this because I was sharpening my pencils...." (That was just an example- I don't reeeally sit there sharpening my pencils... ok maybe only once!

5. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Last fortnight I have been mostly: having actual nightmares (see dreams thread), brushing up on subject knowledge, planning the first two weeks and eyeing up stationery. Still I'd estimate around 70% of my time has been spent procrastinating, and getting myself worked up by watching Teachers TV videos that are either aimed at far more experienced teachers or paint the worst case scenario. I'd say I was quite normal then!

6. I've employed my handy Cricut machine (every teacher should have one) to cut out all of my display words, ready for TAs to put up on our INSET.

I've planned first two weeks literacy and numeracy.

I've started to put together a Smart book of morning activities, which I've gleaned from various places.

Going in to school to talk to my mentor early next week about planning and weekly timetable, and have her sooth my frazzled nerves (also had several nightmares!!)

Made several to-do lists, frustratingly little seems to get crossed off.. the next task is to tackle the MTPs for all the subjects, fortunately I have last years, so I'm not re-inventing the wheel, just changing a couple of bits to better fit in with my teaching style.

I'm currently panicking about guided reading, but again should be solved by my lovely mentor next week.

Can I recommend the Pomodoro Technique to any fellow procrastinators!

Good luck to everyone!

7. Printing, laminating, planning, shopping.....shopping......panicing....shopping....

8. Erm- nowhere near as much as most people, it seems! But rather a lot of worrying.

9. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi Looby Lou. I'm primary, but I have got my literacy and maths groups in there with their levels from their end-of-year tests; I have highlighted the "reds, yellow and blues" so that I can keep an eye on their progress, as well as keeping a track of my focus and target groups. I have also got pages for their mental maths and spelling test results.
    I also have my class listed in their with their reading ages and colour of their reading stage so that I can keep an eye on their reading, as well as space to record trip letters/money etc for trips throughout the year.
    Don't know if that helps. (Been cycling and listening to football today, so nothing done here either!)

10. Looby_Lou14

Oh it absolutely does! I have my class lists inc last years levels and this year target etc so I can put together something very similar... I know I am creating own work for myself when it will go on the school system, but for me I would like to have my own copy and one I can make sense of- even to see my performance, let alone theirs! I am getting very excited now, mixed in with a bit of ohmygod whatifi'mrubbish type feelings. I have INSET on Friday next week, but this time next Sunday I am going to be sick with nerves- a year 10 class and 2 year 9's to greet me on Monday! aaahhhhh xx

Lou xx

11. Looby_Lou14

Sorry In my excitement I forgot to say Thank you! :) xx

12. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

LOL
    You are more than welcome! I think it's nice to be able to have your own system and have something portable!
    Best of luck with it all. You are very brave I must say - teenagers scare me!! (And I've got two of my own!!)
    Terri x

13. Looby_Lou14

I wouldn't say brave... maybe stupid!?

I think primary would terrify me- I LOVE little children but I'm not sure I could manage with them all day! I like to give them back!

14. As an NQT (nearly finished), I'm going back to basics!
    Behaviour for learning.
    Assessment for learning.
    Reflecting on what worked, and what didn't in my class.
    I just feel that going back to basics was/is time well spent in the few remaining days left before the start.
    Rookie.

15. I've just about finished growing my "authority beard" so the kids might think I'm older and more experienced (worked last year!). I've also packed most of my stuff ready to move to the school's city tomorrow. Apart from that not too much in terms of preparation, have gone through the A level textbooks to make sure I know what I'm talking about. Hopefully the aim is that by INSET time (Thursday) I'll have come up with sequences of lessons for the first 3 weeks, maybe a blanket download of all TES resources related to the topics. The lessons themselves can wait till closer the time, I know if i plan them now I'll take years over them whereas if i leave it closer they'll get done much quicker (and probably no worse for it)! Anyone for a game of planning chicken? ;)

16. I've been panicking a lot! Sorting out my pencil case. Buying new shoes. I have been trying to plan lessons but I am yet to be told what ability sets my classes are so there's only so much I can do!

17. Today I've copied all the notes from my GCSE anthology onto the copies of the poems that I'll be teaching (so glad I was a swot in high school) and painted some giant letters for my display board. I've watched most of Westside story to see if there are any clips that I could use to support my Romeo and Juliet lessons (there aren't). I made rough scheme for all my KS3 classes last week and just about to start making my one for Yr10.

Although I'm currently looking at jobs abroad on the TES - seriously, how can it be this cold already :(

18. I am also alternating between excitement/planning/ nervous and procrastinating all at once. My classroom is almost finished and have MTPs ready for the term ahead but the weekly plans and resources are proving a biiiig struggle.....as someone said earlier I think it will be a lot easier when I actually know the levels of my children properly and can plan activities FOR them.... it just feels like I'm stabbing in the dark at the minute!!

Good luck for the year everybody!

19. That is hilarious. I'm going for the female equivalent, a 'miss trunchbull scraped-back-hair-in-a-bun' to make me look older and scarier.

To make everyone else feel better... I've done next to nothing.
    1. I've bought some new clothes
    2. I've saved the school address into my sat nav
    3. I've read "getting the bug gers to behave".

I don't think any of that really counts!!!

We'll all be fine. I'm going to plan the first week, then pick it up as I go. You can't plan too much until you've met the kids. :)

20. Good luck with your new job, I know how stressful it can be!
    If you need and resources for displays, behaviour management and target setting, then please have a look at our website.
    www.teachingessentials.co.uk