1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 week to go and feeling nervous? Try not having a job to go to!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fozzinho, Aug 26, 2011.

1. So, 2 of my 3 NQT terms completed during 2011 and the final payday of the fixed term contract has come and gone. I would say that I haven't felt nervous in my teaching career since completing my first term.

Until now! No income, bleak job prospects, concerning unemployment figures for NQTs, worrying accounts of useless Job Seeking staff- have to say I have never felt so scared. I'm Primary trained and worked at a high school in my most recent post and that was a breeze in comparison to the way I'm feeling at the moment.

Over 50 jobs applied for since Sept 2010, only had 1 interview, where got to final 3. In reality, taking the positives results in taking the peess. (yes, a typo.)

And supply- in Worcester area, my experience of last year- not a single day and registered with 6 agencies including the LEA ran one.

Are you an NQT with nerves jangling for similar reasons?

2. So, 2 of my 3 NQT terms completed during 2011 and the final payday of the fixed term contract has come and gone. I would say that I haven't felt nervous in my teaching career since completing my first term.

Until now! No income, bleak job prospects, concerning unemployment figures for NQTs, worrying accounts of useless Job Seeking staff- have to say I have never felt so scared. I'm Primary trained and worked at a high school in my most recent post and that was a breeze in comparison to the way I'm feeling at the moment.

Over 50 jobs applied for since Sept 2010, only had 1 interview, where got to final 3. In reality, taking the positives results in taking the peess. (yes, a typo.)

And supply- in Worcester area, my experience of last year- not a single day and registered with 6 agencies including the LEA ran one.

Are you an NQT with nerves jangling for similar reasons?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Yep, me! I know its bad to feel depressed whilst everyone else is so excited but theres lots of us in the boat. Fingers crossed you managed to get a maternity cover. Try applying to the schools direct? My friend got her Primary post that way... x

4. Last summer I applied to 85 local first and middle schools to let them know I was available for supply/employment.

I had 1 response and that was at Christmas 2010, and surprisingly that was a 'sorry, we have our own supply/cover person.'

I'll try again this summer and will keep my fingers crossed, as you say.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Was each letter personalised? A pain I know but may increase chances. I've given up on the UK now and will hopefully be emigrating soon xx