1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 week primary placement for secondary PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, May 20, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Do all secondary PGCE studnets have to do this? Also how will i go about organising it, shall i just write to a few local primary schools. I did call my uni this morning but they were very helpfull. They told me info packs will be sent out next month but it seems a bit last min to try and organise this at the end of June

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Do all secondary PGCE studnets have to do this? Also how will i go about organising it, shall i just write to a few local primary schools. I did call my uni this morning but they were very helpfull. They told me info packs will be sent out next month but it seems a bit last min to try and organise this at the end of June

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes its a requirement and a complete PITA. It is meant to cover the ITT bit about awareness of transition between phases but it is just a hoop to jump through ,( get used to them there are lots in ITT).which uni's stick at the start of the year to get it over with. You have to organise it your self so its the hard slog around local primaries to see if any heads will help.
    About time it was abolished

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

When I was on my PGCE we got time within the course to do it. We did uni for a week, then primary for a week and then back at uni before first placement. You may find that your university allow something along those lines.
    I went in to my old primary school and spoke to the receptionist who took my details and the head rang me to say it was okay. (She had been my teacher 16 years previously and still remembered me!)

5. I had to do two weeks and loved every single second. Organising it can be tricky, start now and email every primary school you can possibly travel to as most will say they are too busy/already have students in etc. Enjoy it, it'll be the easiest week of your PGCE!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Start emailing around now if you want to do it before the summer holiday. Primaries won't mind, we are used to it. Ring the school and ask who you should address your email to and then go for it.

Don't worry about emailing several, we understand that you will and that if someone else says yes first you won't come to us. But don't put all the email addresses in one message.

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'd love an extra pair of hands in the classroom. I'll keep my fingers crossed you're in my corner of London...