1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 term completed, how do i finish my NQT year after a medical break?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachelann1987, Oct 14, 2019.

1. rachelann1987

rachelann1987 New commenter

I completed one term of my NQT September 2014-December 2014. I had to take a break from teaching on medical grounds but have since built up more classroom experience from EYFS Pre School through to year 6. I want to complete my NQT year but after several applications it seems school may be reluctant to take me as a "partial" NQT and such a gap in my teaching career. I don't know what to do! It's so disheartening.

If i was able to explain why the gap is there and justify why this was essential and completely out of my hands it would make perfect sense!

I have applied for and had interviews but as soon they ask why i have a gap its like hitting a wall every time. Feedback is always really positive but that's as far as i get.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You need to address that gap in your applications, I think, not wait for interview. If you can at least say, head on "I had to stop teaching after my first term due to medical reasons, which are now resolved", then they're not needing to ask about the gap. If they want to know more about the medical grounds, I think it would be in order to say that you would rather keep that confidential, although if required to fill in a medical form you will of course provide any required information.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It's really not a good idea to post about this on here under what appears to be your real name, photograph and year of birth - anyone from schools you apply to could read your posts. Change your avatar and name to something anonymous. (I've sent you a message too - check your conversations.)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  4. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Do you need to complete your induction this year as it will be five years since you started? Might be worth posting on the new teachers thread.