1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 teacher = 12+ observations = 1 week

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by teacher988, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I thank god every day for pulling my child out of this school. As a teacher myself, I should have looked beyond the ofsted report. I will never forgive myself for making the wrong judgement every time I hear about the latest scheme designed to terrorise teachers, yet introduced in the name of 'enhancing teaching and learning'.
    I have been teaching almost fifteen years and I have never heard of such blatent manipualation of teaching rules, regulations and procedures. The headteacher of an 'outstanding' primary school has introduced a 'focus week' for each year group at a time, which involves each teacher in the year group being obseved in every subject for one week. Each observation lasting up to 1 hour. The initial outrage from teachers who felt that this kind of pressure was unecessary was dealt with by instilling fear of career damage and sheer intimidation. Teachers at this school are already accustomed to constant negativity, so I only wonder what state they will be in after a whole week of observations. Surely this is wrong isn't it?
    I feel very fortunate to work in a school that operates under the guidance of a compassionate HeadTeacher who believes in our abilities as teachers. Thank you Pete :)

2. I thank god every day for pulling my child out of this school. As a teacher myself, I should have looked beyond the ofsted report. I will never forgive myself for making the wrong judgement every time I hear about the latest scheme designed to terrorise teachers, yet introduced in the name of 'enhancing teaching and learning'.
    I have been teaching almost fifteen years and I have never heard of such blatent manipualation of teaching rules, regulations and procedures. The headteacher of an 'outstanding' primary school has introduced a 'focus week' for each year group at a time, which involves each teacher in the year group being obseved in every subject for one week. Each observation lasting up to 1 hour. The initial outrage from teachers who felt that this kind of pressure was unecessary was dealt with by instilling fear of career damage and sheer intimidation. Teachers at this school are already accustomed to constant negativity, so I only wonder what state they will be in after a whole week of observations. Surely this is wrong isn't it?
    I feel very fortunate to work in a school that operates under the guidance of a compassionate HeadTeacher who believes in our abilities as teachers. Thank you Pete :)

3. There is no manipulation or breaking of any rules, regulations or procedures in what you have described. However, it would seem to me to be complete and utter overload. The very least that could be said is that (hopefully) it gets all the years observations over and done with.

4. when I spoke to my head and he said the same - despite it being a ludicrous idea, she can get away with it!! However personally speaking, i'm sure MIchael Gove wasn't asking Headteachers to start observing teachers at every oppurtunity possible when he was introducing his new plans. I completely agree that its unnecessary overload. As far as i'm aware they will be observed every term in addition to this. It wouldn't seem so bad if they wern't anticipating 'satisfactory' and 'inadequate' grades as always (which are never formalised)! I guess that's one way of keeping them on thier toes!

5. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

I'd plan outstanding lessons for that week and be so exhausted, the rest of the year would be barely satisfactory!!

Talk about overload!!

6. You might not have the whole picture. A 'focus week' might involve different kinds of monitoring and AfL, especially in an outstanding school. We are quite sophisticated in education these days believe it or not and there are many ways to assess pupil progress beyond and including lesson observation. I know of schools where Teachers ask to be videoed and observed to improve their practice in specific areas. Why not ask a few more questions? It might be interesting.