1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1% increase in pay not added -protected TLR

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by poppy1981, Nov 21, 2018.

1. poppy1981

poppy1981 New commenter

Hi
    We were informed this month we would see our 1% added into our pay.
    I’ve checked my payslip today and can see the added backdated pay, but then it’s been deducted again.

My TLR was removed from menin July 2018 and I am currently on protected pay. I understand I shouldn’t receive any increment on that pay but surely I should be entitled to the 1% on my UPS3 salary?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

My guess would be that if the 1% on your non TLR pay comes to less than the old protected salary then you will continue to get the old protected salary instead. We’re you told that the protected pay would be updated with inflation each year?

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

The rules are in the STPCD, Part 5.

The safeguarded pay is frozen from when it was awarded and any payrises to the rest of your salary effectively eat away at the safeguarded sum, rather than being added to your overall salary. In other words, you either get your safeguarded salary or your payrise, but not both. As your safeguarded salary is higher than your payrise, you’ve kept that.

This rules have been in place for many years and have not been affected by schools’ recent pay freedoms (providing they follow the STPCD, of course).

ScienceGuy and Sundaytrekker like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This is, in my opinion, so unfair, but it is what STPCD says. It is even harder for teachers still moving up the pay scale.