1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 hour PSHE every day... ideas please!

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by anon3702, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    As the title suggests really! I've started in my new job and the school has one hour of PSHE / SEAL / PLTS every morning. Some of these times are taken up by assembly but I'm struggling what to do for the other days! We have been given a SOW for Drugs & Alcohol (I'm a Year 8 tutor) but have been advised to do this for just half hour each week. My question is what else can I do to use this time effectively?! My class can become quite rowdy if they are not being kept busy, but I am at a loss of what else to do. Their previous teacher made a booklet of wordsearches / crisscross etc for them to do so I have said I will create one of those when I am eventually connected to the school system (still no laptop!), but in the meantime any ideas I could do will be much appreciated! :D

2. Hi all,
    As the title suggests really! I've started in my new job and the school has one hour of PSHE / SEAL / PLTS every morning. Some of these times are taken up by assembly but I'm struggling what to do for the other days! We have been given a SOW for Drugs & Alcohol (I'm a Year 8 tutor) but have been advised to do this for just half hour each week. My question is what else can I do to use this time effectively?! My class can become quite rowdy if they are not being kept busy, but I am at a loss of what else to do. Their previous teacher made a booklet of wordsearches / crisscross etc for them to do so I have said I will create one of those when I am eventually connected to the school system (still no laptop!), but in the meantime any ideas I could do will be much appreciated! :D

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

4. Hi Lovelee
    As an expert in school management systems, you need to know that it is not your fault that (most) classes and tutors in your school will struggle and then behaviour will get worse. What you have got is a very poor learning system that will actually undermine student outcomes. In effect, your LT has got this all wrong and intentions will have opposite outcomes. I am happy to talk you thru this if you contact me. Suffice it to say your job is next to impossible and so is that of form tutors. This is just crazy and poor management (well, at least very misguided) and full of wrong assumptions. Your management team needs to understand the nonsense of what they are doing...in my view!!
    P

5. hard call!
    <ol>[*]get yourself onto the PSHEE accredited certification that will get you the TRAINING that you need[*]Get the National Framework for PSHEE on line to see what topics you can do that cover Financial Capability/Personalal Well Being[*]Ask leadership to help with an Action Plan[*]Lots of resources on the Internet![*]Good luck!</ol>

6. I normally show my form the news in the morning and have discussions around current issues. You could pick out PSHE themes and focus on a different one each week and find related resources on the internet.

7. I find our school's Health Web handy because it's got a variety of pupil activities which the classes enjoy, even those with writing. Obviously they ask for the screen-based tasks but when they start working, especially in groups, the exercises are varied and up -to-date and this seems to catch them.
    Your school is no doubt skint like ours, so feel free to use our site below. Our Head will be cool about it and your kids probably won't notice anyway. It's at
    http://www.schoolsproject.co.uk/shw/schools/rosshs/welcome.htm
    If you want a health web of your own it was set up by www.schoolshealthweb.co.uk, a teacher-led group who, I am told, hate jargon. Can't be bad.