1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 Hour Maths Lesson for Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by DiscoBec, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I've got to do a one hour Maths lesson with a year 5 group working at around low NC level 3. I'd like to do some sort of one-off Maths investigation but I've got no idea where to begin. Any ideas?

2. I've got to do a one hour Maths lesson with a year 5 group working at around low NC level 3. I'd like to do some sort of one-off Maths investigation but I've got no idea where to begin. Any ideas?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

O.K.
    Here's your answer - but not what you wanted to hear, mind you!
    Sorry, but . . . I don't give help, ideas, comments or ANYTHING about interview lessons.
    And I don't suggest that any other poster does, either.
    There are 3 main reasons for that:
    Firstly, it's got to be you, and your ideas, so that you feel comfortable about what you're doing, and so that the school sees you, and not me or somebody else. And secondly and more importantly, because <u>you</u> are the expert here, not me!
    So you will just have to sit down, think of what your aims are (including the Ofsted criteria - one of the links in the Interview Tips clickable in the Welcome thread says what schools are looking for in interview lessons),
    Take a look also at my Possible interview questions clickable in the Welcome thread
    Make sure you plan a lesson that enables children to progress, and have a plan that you will press on the observer that includes differentiation, just in case you don't get round to using it in the lesson itself.
    And a third reason is that this is a public forum, and other candidates for the same job might see the suggestions too . . . and wouldn't you look daft doing the same thing!
    One of the other Heads on this Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had got from here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    So if someone puts on here some ideas, someone else might see them and copy them.
    Best of luck!
    I look forward to you starting a thread that says: Dear Theo, I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Isn't this something that you would need to do during a working day if you got the job anyway? You got an interview - think yourself very lucky and go out there and knock 'em dead with your best all-singing, all-dancing maths activities.

5. I would suggest that you make the work accessible as possible. If they are operating at level 3, this is low for a year 5 class considering they should be at least level 4. Have a good lesson structure, with plenty of AfL with a starter linked to the main, making sure you differentiate appopriately for levels 2, 3 and 4 within these stages of the lesson. Plenary to bring everything together and assess too.

6. Easier said than done and to know how each activity works mathematically (proof if and when needed as knowledge).

7. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Trolls are well out to play tonight, must be the strike with the extra time on their hands. You would think that after lurking on the forum for 18 months the OP could coe up with an idea or two themselves.