1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 hour - Interview Lesson - Geography

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Monty1942, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hello I have a 1 hour interview lesson teaching year 9 students of mixed ability. I have been asked to teach the topic of Supervolcanos...their characteristics, comparisons with 'normal' volcanos and their potiential effects after erupting! Does anybody have any ideas/any good resources? Is it advisable to use peer/self assessment in an interview lesson? If so, any suggests? Any help would be massively appreciated, as my interview is on Monday and is for a school of my NQT dreams!!!! Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Advice here is always not to be too open sharing ideas on a public forum.
    However, you are the geographer here. You know your stuff, so how could you plan this lesson. What do you want the children to achieve by the end of the lesson?
    Generally AfL is always good for assessment and checking 'success', but really you need to start having confidence in your own ideas and abilities. After all this is what you're going to have to rely on day in, day out if you get the job.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    Not a good idea to ask for other people's ideas for an interview. One of your competitors might see it and do the same thing. There was a Headteacher on here who had 4, four, interviewees all doing the same lesson that they had seen suggested here on the forums. She recognised it as she had seen it too, but even if she hadn't, the fact that all four did almost the identical lesson sort of gave the game away!
    So you need to think of your own ideas for a lesson that will show learning and progress - those are the keys.
    Have you read this:

* * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *We have a tradition on here that when you get a job, you start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job! We look forward to yours!
    Best wishes and best of luck