1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1 - 9 Level descriptors

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Stevensheppard, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Stevensheppard

Stevensheppard New commenter

I have been tasked with sorting our maths tracking in KS4. Previously this was a simple matter of looking at the work they were completing and comparing it with the GCSE level descriptors. However, with the introduction of the new GCSE and reallocation of focus, new topics and shifting of grade requirements the old level descriptors are useless.

Has anybody got any idea where I may find a breakdown of what is required to access each grade. If you can do a certain aspect, that is a level 6. I am assuming that the recent rejection of the sample papers has made it more difficult to find this information.

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

My understanding is that this will be something of an arbitrary process since they have deliberately not attached topics/skills to grades. However, it isn't unreasonable to make up something - carry things through so that, for example, easier C topics end up as a 4, hard Bs end up at 6 with the 5s somewhere between. Then, plant in the new topics as seems right.

Mathswatch have attached topics to grades. You might want to see how they've done this.

3. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I will publish Level 9 -1 descriptors soon to replace the old descriptors page on Emaths. Also, Complete Maths contains all of the descriptors and will be viewable from mid-August.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

IMHO: no topics are Grade 9 - because that's norm-referenced by number of students, not criterion-referenced.

Grade 8 = A*, Grade 7 = A, Grade 6 = harder Level 8, Grade 5 = harder Level 7 and easier Level 8, Grade 4 = easier Level 7, Grade 3 = Level 6, Grade 2 = Level 5, Grade 1 = Levels 3 & 4

5. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

Why bother with "grade descriptors"? What matters is what percentage they get in exams. Give them a test with 90% =9; 82%=8; 74%=7 and so on.

Stop making life difficult. :)

6. Stevensheppard

Thanks for all the responses, especially Tandy as that looks very promising. Much appreciated.

7. Stevensheppard

8. Stevensheppard

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately we don't have mathswatch but may be looking to get it in soon,

9. only_sleping

only_sleping New commenter

Does anybody know how we measure levels of progress using the new grades?

As I understand it, there is no exact mapping of old grades to new grades, so pupils who get a (for example) level 5 at KS2 who were expected to get a B...what will they expected to achieve on the new scale?

10. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

To misquote...

"Just try to remember the truth?"

"What truth?"

"There are no NC levels."

Any predictions based on KS2 test results have the same level of rigorous validity as using goat entrails to predict GCSE results. Tell your SMT that.

We should all be doing g so. :)