1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 1/4 and 1/3s Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EmmaChatman, May 11, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm a student teacher and I'm being observed teaching halves, quarters and thirds to Year 2.
    I'm a bit stuck on ideas for activities!

Any ideas are welcome! I have also been advised to try and incorporate some kind of song for the lesson too.

Thankyou.

2. I like to have a carousel of activities cutting food into different fractions (you'll have to check re allergies and any permissions needed first). Have 3 tables. Table 1: cut food into halves. If they get it right, they can eat half. Table 2: do quarters. ask what they notice (ie they have to cut it into half and then half again. You could extend some by asking if they eat 2 quarters, how many do they have left, ie 2/4 = 1/2. Table 3: do thirds. This is tricky to do, ie cutting into thirds. Sometimes I like to use this as an extension idea: can they divide a number (eg of smarties) into thirds, ie you give them 9 smarties, they divide them into 3 groups, identify that one group is 1/3 and then eat 1/3. If you want to be healthy you can do this with berries or something.

3. That's a lovely idea!! I'll put the idea forward with my mentor! Thank you :)