1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1,176,182 on the Scoville scale

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Feb 20, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

<a target="_blank">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12505344[/URL]
    A Grantham man has grown the world's hottest chilli, coming in at 1,176,182 on the Scoville Heat Unit, a scale derived in 1912 by Wilber Scoville, an American chemist. To get this into context, Tobasco sauce measures a mere 2,000 - 5,000 on this scale. Apparently, the pain endured when eating it lasts for many hours. It's been given the name Infinity Chilli.
    Can you think of a recipe you would use such a pepper in or someone you'd particularly like to serve it to?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Maybe,,,I suppose I could use just the tip of the chilli finely diced (whilst wearing gloves!) in a pot of chillie-con-carne...but why would I? I might as well use a milder version.

Oh yes!....Lots of people!....some of whom are relatives!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ermm....cough, cough,...............Rose?

*naughty Belle*

4. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I think it was described as being above weapons grade

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'd infuse it into an oil - I love chilli dipping oil with dukkau and flatbreads. I bet I never told any of you that, did I?

6. Just think how many gallons/litres of oil you'd get per chilli!!!
    Must make more dukka, I have lots of eggs and a boiled eggy dipped in dukka is yummy!!!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think it's just a bit of fun really, but of no real use to the cook. My concern about using it for cooking would be that whilst you'd get a hell of a lot heat from just a small piece of the chilli, you'd get next to nothing of the flavour, the tiny amount you'd have being so diluted in whatever you were making.
    There's a lot more to chillies than just the heat - some of the flavours can be wonderful, and the different varieties can taste quite different from each other.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Like I said.....Rose.

*no apologies for quoting Shifter this time*