1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 Video Calls - people's views?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fartyowls, May 18, 2020.

1. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

As this pandemic has gone on it seems that many places have relaxed the 'no cameras' rule due to pressure from parents who want lessons to be interactive.

Live video calls are becoming the norm. I find it quite daunting that even though you invite several pupils, you could be left 1:1 on a video call with a pupil (who is probably in their bedroom).

Some schools are using video calling to start a lesson, then the teacher is left on the call (live, camera on) if pupils then need to come back for help. To me it is like a pupil leaving your lesson then coming back into the classroom for c chat and then shutting the door.

I cannot seem to find any safeguarding advice on this. Whilst many say it should not happen others say we are living in extraordinary times and schools are doing what they can to keep parents happy.

On apps like TikTok there are plenty of videos up there of pupils filming teachers in live meets.

Anyone got any views on this? Appreciate advice is general but is there anything people have said to schools to challenge the video calling?

2. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

There should be an adult in the room with the student, if you only have one student show up. Otherwise rearrange the lesson due to safeguarding issues.

3. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

We cannot do this under safeguarding procedures agreed with the council. Unless another adult is present you are opening yourself to all sorts of problems (just in case).

I would only do 1:1 if pre-approval was given from a safeguarding team member, and the meeting is recorded for both of your protections (hence approval too from the parent of child in question) and keep the video on the school storage (GDPR).

4. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

We record each lesson (regardless of whether it’s 1 student or 25) and save it in a designated google drive folder, just in case it is needed at a later point.

We run to our normal timetable so wouldn’t be able to simply rearrange like previous poster mentioned.

I’m not aware of any issues with the video calls so far and actually it has helped us pastorally identify students are are struggling with their well-being at home.

5. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

Thank you. With GDPR does this mean that if the video / meet is recorded then a parent could make a request to the school to access and view it?

6. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

I can’t honestly say - sorry. I teach internationally which means the local laws will be different.

fartyowls likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The child could ask for a copy of their own personal data - ie their image/voice in the video. The images of other pupils would have to be redacted.

Sometimes a parent can ask for the data. Amongst other things depends how old the child is. There's several bits of advice about this on the Information Commissioner's website, eg

When may a parent exercise these rights on behalf of their child?

Even if a child is too young to understand the implications of their rights, they are still their rights, rather than anyone else’s such as a parent or guardian.

You should therefore only allow parents to exercise these rights on behalf of a child if the child authorises them to do so, when the child does not have sufficient understanding to exercise the rights him or herself, or when it is evident that this is in the best interests of the child.

This applies in all circumstances, including in an online context where the original consent for processing was given by the person with parental responsibility rather than the child.
    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...en-and-the-gdpr/what-rights-do-children-have/

I'd guess that whatever the formal distinctions made by ICO are, if you tell parents you can only accept an access request from the child then the identical request but this time signed by the child would ping straight back...

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have put procedures in place to prevent the problems you are speaking about.

All children must be in a public part of the house.
    All children must have a parent in the room while they are in a lesson.
    All children and adults must be dressed in day clothes for the live lessons.
    All lessons are recorded and saved.

We've not challenged this in our school as we are all pretty happy with it.

Pomza and TheoGriff like this.
  9. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

Yes I agree clear guidelines are what is needed. When on a video call with 20 pupils it can be very difficult to check who is there with them. Parents come and go even in lockdown. I understand that parents will have agreed to this but is it legally binding? The child is switching on and accessing the computer themselves. The only way I can see that working is if you greet the parent first face to face on the video call. That way you have an acknowledgement that the parent is happy for the video call to take place and they will be in the vicinity.

10. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Oh I can see how that would lead to serious problems (no adult in the room with the kid). That is just begging for trouble.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I have done it with a tutee with parents’ explicit permission and recording the entire thing

jlishman2158 and TheoGriff like this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Tricky, there would have to be some editing to remove the other kids.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  13. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Hi again

Sorry about that, as I mentioned GDPR and then didn't explain the implications. If you're doing 1:1 then there's no issue regarding getting rid of other students identifiable, but I was told I cannot store my recorded zoom teaching on my own personal laptop. So I created a school based dropbox account using school based email, and there the zoom teaching sessions has been stored in case they are ever needed by the school - I cannot keep them privately.

But I wouldn't recommend 1:1 as I've stated before, unless express permission has been given by a safeguarding lead, and the parent of that child gives their permission too. But if you must do it, keep a record of the meeting and let parent/safeguarding lead know too that the session MUST be recorded for safeguarding reasons.

fartyowls likes this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

Personally I would have the school create a drop box / Google drive and store it there, don't want it anywhere near my accounts.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  15. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

definitely. We all work from a school onedrive anyway, and zoom is set up to automatically record all lessons/meetings to this

16. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

Our policies are clear: NO one to one lessons. So if that happens by accident then close down the lesson.

We are NOT allowed to record lessons under our policy either.

17. ridleyrumpus

Not sure about the no recording policy, especially when other parties have the ability to record them.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

On Zoom the meeting host can disable the ability to record the meeting. No doubt parents/pupils could find ways around that using other apps but it wouldn't be as simple as recording locally in Zoom.

19. fartyowls

fartyowls New commenter

A school can say this but what they do not seem to realise is that even after a group video call there may be one pupil who stays behind with a question. Teacher then has choice to say sorry send me an email (upsetting parents and thus the school) or answer the question. Teacher is 1:1 with pupil. Same with teachers being on live help chats. If only one pupil turns up it is 1:1 although in the school's eyes it is seen as a group activity.

20. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

Good point, I just know that I asked about 1:1 sessions for language assistants and said that they could record it (as a way around the no one to one rule). I was told that would not be allowed.

We're using Teams.