1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1-1 tuition maths level 2b

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ktee, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ktee

Ktee New commenter

Am starting a one to one tuition programme with a 9 year old girl who is currently a level 2b in maths. Ive tutored in literacy before but not maths. DOes anyone have any tips/ pointers for where to start?? I'm aware I need to identify gaps and have already spoken to Mum about her concerns. Mum says she is missing basic facts.

Thanks for any advice

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

• Plan some diagnostic sessions to allow you to identify what she does know and understanding. You will find the gaps and misconceptions but it is crucial to build on secure understanding and skills
    • Focus on number - counting, number system (particularly place value), known facts, calculating and using and applying
    • plan next steps based on what she knows
    • consider all elements of the connective model to support her to make connections between current and new learning (language, contexts, images and symbols)
    • look at the Y3 curriculum
    • develop talk - focus on reasoning and explaining
    Hope that gives you some ideas of where to start. You could look at Wave 3 materials for ideas.
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. Ktee

Ktee New commenter

Carrie that's so helpful thank you :)

4. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I've started to use some games from a book by Peggy Kaye to help with maths concepts (once you know where her gaps are). The children like them because they think they are playing games but they are learning at the same time! Sorrim x