1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 tuition-how long before funding runs out?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by delma, Nov 9, 2010.

1. delma

delma New commenter

The reason I ask is I currently do some private tuition. I have set the wheels in motion to do some 1:1 in one school. Hopefully once I get underway with that (and know my timetable etc..) I can start offering my services to other schools. This would be enough to start making a reasonable wage.
    I fell foul of the 16 month supply rule ( + extension) at the beginning of this year, and I'm hoping that this could well be an alternative to supply. Possibly a long term solution, too. I am becoming increasingly unemployable the longer I am out of the classroom, and I very much doubt I will be class teaching again for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know when the funding is due to run out? Am I going to be in the same boat again early next year? Or is it a case of 'wait and see', like everything else in these uncertain times?

2. delma

delma New commenter

The reason I ask is I currently do some private tuition. I have set the wheels in motion to do some 1:1 in one school. Hopefully once I get underway with that (and know my timetable etc..) I can start offering my services to other schools. This would be enough to start making a reasonable wage.
    I fell foul of the 16 month supply rule ( + extension) at the beginning of this year, and I'm hoping that this could well be an alternative to supply. Possibly a long term solution, too. I am becoming increasingly unemployable the longer I am out of the classroom, and I very much doubt I will be class teaching again for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know when the funding is due to run out? Am I going to be in the same boat again early next year? Or is it a case of 'wait and see', like everything else in these uncertain times?

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I don't know about the funding but I signed up for the 1 to 1 when it was announced and never heard a dicky bird. I am in the same boat with the supply rule.

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It has now been pulled and the money will go into school budgets. The HT can decide whether or not to continue this 'successful; programme.
    This was announced today on THE

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

sorry - it was announced on BBC news. The pity is it was a good scheme and will probably now been watered down and delivered by TAs. Funding will probably last this financial year.

6. No surprise that funding has stopped. I work in a deprived area so maybe the heads will hopefully support their struggling pupils in other ways involving 1-1.
    I hope TAs won't take over - but with current school budgets who knows?

7. Funnily enough I went to a session yesterday run by a large LA on 1-1 and the man there was really upbeat: schools will continue to receive extra money for interventions, including the new pupil premium. Since the evidence is that high quality 1-1 sessions are very effective for children who have fallen behind he was expecting 1-1 to be extended and for small group sessions to become common too. I think they would have used TAs for the pilots if they thought they could get away with it but in my opinion, based on what we were told and shown yesterday and my experience of TAs, there would be relatively few who would have the competence and confidence to do effective 1-1 work. I'm sure there will be some stupid and short-sighted heads who think it cost effective to try to dumb down 1-1 but they will still have to account for money spent in this way and account for it at the level of the individual pupil. The bottom line is that the 1-1 'client' is supposed to show sustained improvement back in the classroom after the intervention.

8. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Has this actually happened to anyone? Initial improvement occurs but with the 1:1 support withdrawn the pupils go back to their original level. The reason they are struggling is sometimes external - it's like pushing somoene uphill, stop pushing them and they will walk uphill a little but eventually give up and fall back down again.

9. As I understand it the funding is there for the next couple of years at least, BUT this Govt have decided to let HTs decide where the money is spent! So, those of us that are doing 1:1 and want to keep our jobs, let's make ourselves indispensible!!![​IMG]

10. delma

delma New commenter

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it.
    Hee hee, I like your thinking, Raedigger! Sadly, I'm not sure a lot of HTs in my area will be keen to use part of their school budget to fund a teacher for 1:1. I know a couple of schools where I have done supply use their current teachers for the 1:1.

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Just wanted any updates, anyone got one to one post August?

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Got told by an agent there's still one to one, anyone confirm?

13. I think 1-2-1 was one of those 'initiatives' that hardly ever happened. Like Plymouthmaid, I signed up to the govt scheme but heard no more about it!

14. There are places calling out for 1 to 1 tutors in London.

15. Which places are they?

16. I work for an LA in the south west and am 1:1 lead for our school. We have been awarded 38 places this year, as well as extra places for our LAC. We were told at a meeting at the beginning of the year that funding has been put aside by the government until 2014-15. As previous posts have said, thing money is no longer ring-fenced, so HT's have no obligation to spend it on 1:1, other than the money they receive for LAC. We have been advised that the funding will carry on, however at a lower level than this year - we have been told to expect approx 25 places plus LAC for next year, and probably similar for the year after.

17. Check out jobrapido - they send me stuff each day

Its too far for me to travel to and get back for my evening tutoring

If you cant find it send me a PM and i will forward the emails i get