1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 tuition help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gwingrove, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I have been asked to take on a yr 6 pupil for 1:1 tuition . She needs help on making her writing more interesting (she tends to play safe), writing more complex sentences linked to using punctuation such as commas effectively. She is working at 3a. I am a yr 1 teacher and have never taught this before or even used it myself since Uni over 10 yrs ago. Any ideas gratefully received.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

If you look at the standards site there is a section on 1:1 tuition which gives examples of planning etc.
    I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you need to do some research and refresh your knowledge of expectations for yr6.
    I taught YR2/3 when I did tuition last year and although I felt confident about my ability to teach YR6, as I have previously worked with this yr group, I still did some 'studying' to make sure I was up to scratch.
    If possible speak to the class teacher to see what strategies they use in class which you can reinforce.
    If you search resources section oon this site, and other well known sites, you will find loads of ideas to use and adapt.
    Good luck.

3. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

The pupil writing targets are useful to identify next steps and get your head round the progression she will need to make. They were on the strategy site which has now been archived. But, you can find them as a PDF on http://emmarogers.org.uk/one-to-one-tuition/ as well as other supporting materials for one to one tuition. If you need any further support, I'd be happy to help. I am working as a tutor in Y6 myself, but have trained over 300 tutors around the country. So, just contact me via the website for any questions!