1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 Tuition - contract or supply rate?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by iamthewalrus, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Please can someone enlighten me as to how you employ your 1:1 tutors? We have 40+ places for next year, HR tell me that if I use a tutor for more than 10 weeks they have to have a contract, and if I use the same tutors that I have this year (which I will, because they are brilliant) then I will have to give them a permanent contract as they will have been employed for 18 months in the same role. I can't do this because a) the funding is secure year on year, b) tutors have to be paid at (essentially) supply rate and not mainscale rates, and c) I don't want to give them a contract!!! Help!

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I thought ours were paid on their payscale if they worked during the school day but if out of school hours were paid the 1 to 1 flat rate but that may just be our LA. We are primary. I'm sure someone with better info. will be able to give you a better answer.

3. You can employ them for the flat rate before or after school or at lunchtime & can do 30 min slots 2x a week per child. A fixed term contract linked to funding should solve your problem if you need them in school time. Make dates of employment clear in job d & contract & say it is for named children, linked to limited external funding. You need to make all this explicit to those who get job too in a signed letter.

4. In Lincolnshire we get flat rate no matter when we do tuition. I have had a contract each year, for the children I tutor for ten sessions.

5. If they are teaching during school hours then they are paid as TPCD full time pro rata, if outside school hours then £25-£30pph.