1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 TA interview, story for Year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by julieahawes, Jan 4, 2019.

1. julieahawes

julieahawes New commenter

Hi all. I have an interview for a 1:1 TA position, also with some pastoral work. For my interview I have to read a story to a small group or Year 1/2..less than 10 mins.

Any ideas on books? I don’t have any so need to order one...ideally something that’s would easily be interactive so I could ask questions etc. I love the How to be a Lion but wasn’t sure if it’s too young?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If the activities you use with the book are suitable then no problem. We always say start from What you want them to gain' from the book and plan suitable activities around that objective.

3. julieahawes

Thanks for your reply. The letter says ‘a story to read to small group’ so I’m not sure if they are wanting any more of an activity?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was presuming when you said
    I was assuming you would be wanting to get the children involved in some way?

5. julieahawes

Sorry, yes..I thought if I could involve them in some way it would make it more interesting for them rather than just listening. But I wasn’t sure if asking them prepared questions either along the way or after would be sufficient?

Sorry this is all new to me..I’ve only had one temporary position before this, and didn’t have to do this for interview.

I’ve found a book called Something Else aswell which looks good, as it has the hidden meaning of accepting people.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi julieahawes, congratulations on getting an interview - it's a tough world on the job front now. Having been involved in many interviews and observations of prospective TAs, I can say that they will definitely be looking at how you involve the children and interact with them. 10 minutes is a very short time. I would go with a story you know and like - I'm not familiar with How to be a Lion, but have just had a quick look and it looks promising. There are lesson plans for using it in TES resources, which you could have a look at - some great ideas there. I would have some questions ready and ideas to stimulate discussion. If the group is large enough, you could give them a minute to discuss a question with a partner first before sharing with the group. Have more planned than you will need; that stops you worrying about whether you can fill the time! Best of luck with the interview.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Go to your local library, sit yourself down in the children's section and I'll bet you can find a book that inspires you. There are loads of good picture books - find one you enjoy reading, and that's half the job done.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.