1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 TA in need of help!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by chelseys101, Aug 30, 2017.

1. chelseys101

chelseys101 New commenter

Hello!

I have a child with Global Development Delay (mainly in the area of social and communication) going into year 1 next week in a mainstream school. She is the only child with severe complex needs and I keep getting spoken to about P Scales but have had very differing opinions.

What are people's views on P Scales? Have they worked well in a mainstream school? My only fear is that she will be the only one assessed against P Scales as she is the only child in the whole school with the needs she has.

My 1:1 has had no access to the Early Years curriculum and is going to have extremely limited access to the KS1 curriculum also! So I am just trying to find an alternative way to assess her without using too much of the curriculum with her peer group.

Hope this has made some sort of sense!

Thanks!

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

P Scales were great when used as the best fit measure they were originally intended to be used for. Used for tighter measurements of progress for students with complex needs they quickly become a farce as these students progress is rarely linear, so people need an assessment scheme that allows for horizontal progress too, Routes for Learning and Quest for Learning, both freely available online are wonderful and allow for this.

Of course post Rochford things could change again.

If you're looking for resources that can include this child alongside her peers I have a lot of free planning banks on www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk can will differentiate across this need range.

Best wishes
    Joanna

3. chelseys101

chelseys101 New commenter

Thank you, it's been so tricky with everyone in my school coming up with different opinions about P Scales.
    Let's hope post Rochford things won't be so tricky in terms of assessment - but I doubt that!

Chelsey

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Why don't you use the KS1 topics and curriculum, but pitch the tasks at a level your pupil can access? (assisted by the P scales or Routes or Quest or whatever you choose to use to assess with.)
    P scales were an assessment, not a curriculum - just like you used to teach the KS1 curriculum and assess your pupils using using NC levels (or if the child was not yet at NC levels you'd use P levels which are simply the levels of ability leading up to NC levels)