1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1:1 in writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by countrybumpkin, Jan 20, 2011.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

I start 1:1 with a year 6 pupil on Thursday. She is a reluctant learner so I want to make it a good experience for her.
    She needs work on basic sentence level and on complex sentences across all the genres.
    I want to start with persuasion because this is the big focus in our year 6 at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas for making it fun? From what I've seen of her so far she will sit in silence and won't contribute much! Help.

2. Hum.... from your brief description, this girl needs the basics and not genre writing.
    If she needs work on basic sentences by Year Six, then how does this correlate with complex sentences across all the genres. This sounds like a mismatch.
    I've only just this minute made a posting about children being taught too much higher order stuff far too soon - and that is in the infants.
    Perhaps you should tackle the basic sentence structure and work directly on her needs, rather than Year Six expectations?

3. My suggestion being that often 'reluctance' is a sign for being out of one's depth - and by this age, one has to ask whether she has been out of her depth for most of her time at primary.

4. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

By basic sentence level I mean the basics for complex sentences which are expected in year 6. I don't mean simple sentences. She is a 3B and fairly able.
    I guess you are right she probably needs the sentence work before genre writing though.