1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

0.8 HoD - arguments against and counter-arguments

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by jennyrachaelmccloskey, Dec 7, 2018.

1. jennyrachaelmccloskey

jennyrachaelmccloskey New commenter

I have been given a 0.8.HoD role for a year (it began this September) and I will be putting in a flexible working request for it to become permanent when I come back from my second maternity leave. The 0.8 role has worked marvellously but I know there are people that doubt its ability to work or have had experiences of it not working. I'd be really keen to hear everyone's thoughts - postive and negative - so I can be fully prepared for any arguments put forward by my SLT and then counter them. Thanks in advance. Rachael.

2. Billysmum22

Billysmum22 New commenter

I don’t think you should use your full name on this site. I know a few 0.8 HOD including one of a core subject. They do, however, get 0.8 of the TLR as well.

3. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

Playing devil's avocado...

What happens if a member of your department has their nightmare class on the day you're off and needs you to step in support their behaviour management?

What happens if HODs/other management meetings are scheduled for your day off?

4. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Having line-managed a 0.8 HoD - it generally worked well. It was a little inconvenient if there was an issue in her subject on the day she wasn't in, but it's rare something couldn't wait an extra day to be dealt with.
    The year when her day out was the cpd/meetings day was frustrating for her and school, so I'd try to pre-empt that and say you'd want to make sure you were in on that day. Also, having a plan in place in case of emergency cover setting would be important.
    I'd say having a good hod for 4 days a week would be preferable to having to re-advertise and maybe get someone less suitable full-time.
    There was also a thread on this topic on workplace dilemmas recently which would be worth reading.
    Good luck.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. bobtes

bobtes New commenter

Both HoDs of maths and English at my school are 0.8 (plus some other HoDs) with a full day off each.
    Both depts. have a deputy who acts up as HoD on their day off

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

I'm a 0.8 HoD for maths. We changed the day so that I was in on CPD/meeting days. Its hard, i have to do the full job after all and there is a lot of catching up from the day off but we're doing well so far!

pepper5 likes this.