1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

0.8 and directed time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by twitterbix, Jan 20, 2016.

1. twitterbix

twitterbix New commenter

Since the start of the academic year I have been on a 0.8 contract.

In terms of directed time, the only things I have missed are one CPD day (6), 17 20-minute briefings (5.6h) and a one 60 minute meeting. I have attended everything else my full time colleagues have attended, including open evenings, all parents' evenings, faculty meetings and twilight CPD.

I have been to see my SLT link today along with HR manager because I wanted clarification about whether I'm doing too much in terms of directed time but I feel as though they didn't understand what I was saying. I feel as though I have done pretty much everything my colleagues have done but they assured me it balanced out because of the 20 minutes I was missing every week.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Many thanks.

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Your directed time is 1265 x 0.8 = 1012 so you will have to work that out based on your hours.

You do not have to attend meetings or parents evenings on a day when you do not work (although, of course, that will only be one day at most)

grumpydogwoman and wanet like this.
  3. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I'm on a 0.8 contract too (dropped to 0.8 following maternity leave, was full time pre-baby). To be honest, this issue hadn't even occurred to me, but I will be interested to hear what others say as I have missed almost exactly the same number of meetings/briefings.

I think there was something about directed time in my letter from the LEA confirming the change in my contract, but I can't remember what it said. I'll dig it out and will let you know.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, the briefings take place on days you're not even there??? They don't count for anything. You don't owe them 17 x 20 minutes!

NUT but they all say the same.

For example, a part time teacher who works 15 teaching hours in a STTW of 25 hours will be entitled to be paid 60% of the appropriate full time pay rate. That part time teacher would be expected to be available for work for a maximum of 759 hours of directed time (60% of 1265 hours). Of this, there would be a maximum of 570 hours of teaching time (15 hours for 38 weeks of term time) and a maximum of 189 hours (759 hours - 570 hours) for directed time for non-teaching duties.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  5. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday Occasional commenter

Just found the letter, and it is identical to @grumpydogwoman's post. It wouldn't surprise me if our LEA copied and pasted it from the NUT!