1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

0.8/0.2 work load split

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Teapot345, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

How do you split the workload fairly between 4 days and 1 day sharing a primary class? Is the 0.8 expected to do all planning for the whole week while the 0.2 just delivers? Or how does it work for you?

2. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

I have 2 job shares within the same school, .4 in one class and a .2 in another( KS2) I am more involved in the 2 day jobshare, but still do loads of planning for my 1 day. In both we have designated subjects split between the two teachers. That’s really important. On the 2 day jobshare, I follow usual Maths/Lit planning( planned together with jobshare usually by emailing and a quick lunch time catch up, but the 1 day jobshare is different. In Maths I do Shape/Space/Measure topics only in a separate book so I can take home to mark. We tried me following on but I wouldn’t know where they were up to till the day before and it didn’t really give me time to plan a decent lesson. In Literacy, jobshare does 4 days main Literacy, but I do the spelling test and almost a full hours guided reading lesson. Then I am responsible for RE, Art/DT only on that day. I don’t do any of the jobshare’s ‘finishing off’ and we never leave jobs for the other’s TA to do on their days. Our TA is ours on our day. As my one day in there is Friday, I do a big tidy up at the end of the day so she has a nice clear environment to walk into on Monday. Nothing more depressing than spending the first 10 mins of your first day tidying up someone else’s mess!! I do find I sometimes have loads of marking so try to mark as you walk around. I usually leave at 6pm on that 1day jobshare -it’s really full on. I sit down with a cuppa as soon as kids have left and write her a quick handover email about any issues, if parents have come in for a chat etc while still fresh in my head. For end of year reports in my 2 day jobsharewe split the Maths and Lit between us Then write comments for our designated subjects and send them to each other. And split the personal comments. In 1 day jobshare I only write RE, Art and DT comments but write a few maths notes for her reference.I am aware she does more than me here. With displays,in 1 day job share I have a section on the Maths working wall, an RE board and prayer table up all the time and do Art and DT displays( usually in corridors/ central areas. I was initially given music and page to cover also and was just impossible to fit in to the 1 day, so be flexible and keep the communication open. Hope this helps.

Teapot345 likes this.
  3. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

Sorry, didn’t address your query. No, 4 day person does no planning for my one day. That’s what I’m getting paid for! If your 1 day person is not a teacher but a HLTA or TAI have heard of the 4 day teacher having to plan which I don’t think is fair.

Teapot345 likes this.