1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

0.6 or 0.8?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bristolmover, Apr 23, 2014.

1. bristolmover

bristolmover New commenter

Any advice gratefully received.

I am duet to meet with the Head next week to discuss my return to work. I requested 0.8 as I was before but he says there are not enough hours and 0.6 is more likely. My Mum says perhaps that will work out OK because of tax brackets, but I'd worked out that with childcare 0.8 would be far better than 0.6.

Any ideas? Rubbish at finance stuff. Should I be doing anything else to organise myself for the return to work, such as looking into tax credits? My husband is employed full time and earns around £25kpa

Many thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Do check as obviously I don't know your financial details?I'm also assuming you just have the one child - but it sounds unlikely that you would be eligible for tax credits because your combined income will invariably be over the 30k threshold.. Info here - www.hmrc.gov.uk/.../work-no-childcosts.htm

There are also details of how much you can earn before tax and lots of information regarding breaks for working families.

Also you can calculate how much you will be taking home here - www.tesfaq.co.uk - using the pay calculator.

3. bristolmover

Thanks.

I'll do that.

Really appreciate the response.

4. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

If you were on 0.8 before then surely you're entitled to go back on the same contracted hours anyway?

I went back on 0.8 just because it kept us more financially stable. It may also mean you can have a larger responsibility for your class and subject responsibilities etc? I pay for two days a week childcare and have family look after my dd two days a week. Childcare is such a big cost I really need the money from being on 0.8.

0.6 was quite a drop in salary.

Have you looked at the childcare voucher scheme at your school? It saves me about £75 a month xxx

5. Who is more important? Your child or your career?

6. Or perhaps putting a roof over her family's head and buying food might be quite important marib? What a ridiculous reply! Would you ask her husband the same question?

7. bristolmover

Thanks for the replies, and for standing up for me birdstock! My contract was variable hours and it's an academy so no obligatin to offer me 0.8 but... they have turned around and asked me to do 0.8 after all now. I'm going for it, as it's best for the family in many respects that I don't need to defend right now... not least as the plan is to stay for only a year and then take ML again all being well.