1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

0.6 but doing majority of tasks

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by chica27, Mar 31, 2018.

1. chica27

chica27 New commenter

Hi,

Been teaching for 5 years in a primary school in Leeds...just had twins and returned part-time.

Currently teaching 0.6 (3 full days). On the other 2 days the class is covered by 3 people: two teachers and a TA.

This term I have done 100% of these tasks: assessment marking; data inputting, online assessment, report writing, parents evening, trips, majority of maths marking, 60% of literacy marking.

I guess my question is: does this seem fair to you? If not, what would your next steps be?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It doesn't seem very fair, but if the other people are doing a day or less in your class, they're probably not going to take kindly to being asked to do more than they're doing in other classes where they're covering PPA or whatever.

I think you probably need to have a discussion about the workload - whether that's with your class team or with your line manager probably depends on how your team and school work. You need to make the case that, although as the majority teacher you inevitably have to take the lead on many things, it's not fair for that to be everything. Unless they're going to give you extra PPA time, you should only be doing 60% of it.
    Have a think about what might be easily delegated. Can you hand over responsibility for some specific areas, eg SPAG/mental maths, so that one of the others does the assessment, data entry, etc for that area? Could one of them take the lead on planning a trip?